Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Anchylosing spondylitis ?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hi,

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I searched through the sections and this one sounds to be the closest fit to my issue.

I'm 24 years old and around 18 months ago, I was getting ready for work, when suddenly my head locked fast in place. I could not move it at all. Upon arriving at work was send straight to A&E where I was tested from meningitis, broken neck etc...

The doctor came to the conclusion that it was simply muscle spasms following my fall down the stairs a week earlier, where I fell hard on my back/neck but didn't hurt anthing - it just shocked me a bit.

Anyway, I left with my medication and a week later I was right as rain.

Then around a year ago I attended my GP with complaints of severe back pains, upon being asked what I thought it could be, I explained that my Father and Grandfather both had anchylosing spondylitis (AS) and were in their late 20's when the signs began to appear. I requested blood tests be taken for HLA-B27 so as to discover if I carried the gene. The tests were take and I was sent on my way with 100 30/500 co-codamol to tide me over until the results arrived.

After a week I called for an update - no results.

2nd week - no results

3rd week - no results

4th week - results in, all clear. "what do you mean all clear" I asked, as it almost sounded like I was been lied to just to get rid of me. "everything's clear" she said before ending the call.

That was a year ago.

Since then I have lost some use of my neck, my neck has began to grind, I have plenty of headaches and just feel that this must be something wrong.

With my head straight I can turn my head 90 degrees to the left, so my nose is practically in line with my shoulder, but can only turn it 50 degrees or so to the right before the whole right side of my neck tightens and restricts me from moving any further. Also, I have free movement when I look to the left can look up and down at the same time, but if I look as far as I can to the right, I cannot tilt my head up or down.

I have, in the past, forgotten about this limited movement and accidentally turned to the right a bit quickly and I am immediately struck by a severe headache that seems to cover my neck, jaw, face and brain. As mentioned above, I can hear and feel my neck grinding and crunching constantly - I feel it in the back of my throat and I know that for a healthy 24 year old man, this shouldn't be an issue.

Any help, advice, ideas or assistance is welcome. nurse

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Tom
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 14th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hi
sounds like the vertebrae are out of whack from your fall. sometimes the fall will cause a vertebrae to slip out of its normal stacked position so a part of it is touching an adjacent vertebrae. this may have happened slowly over time . or it could be calcification of part of your vertebrae from effects of fall. at any rate you need attention from a neurosurgeon who specializes on the spine. you need studies like an mri and a xray to check disks and bones in neck....move quickly on this so that it can be stopped before further damage is done over time....pete
|

replied December 14th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hi again.
i just reread your post and discovered i must have been half asleep when i answered it the first time. i never responded to your question about possible anchylosing spondylitis.
it certainly makes sense that since your father and grandfather both has the disease you too may have it. a visit with a rheumatologist to get a second opinion would also seem appropriate. since it is a lifelong disease it would be good to compare scans and xrays from year to year to see if there are changes. if calcification and bone growth are found you need to know if the fall or the AS are the cause. an appointment with the spinal surgeon and the rheumatologist both would be appropriate....pete
|