Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Anal Mucus Worries

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hello dear eHealth Forum,

Following a post one year ago, I was convinced that I should give my relationship with my HIV+ partner a second change. We have been living together happily over the last 1.5 year. Nevertheless, I have certain concerns about the anal mucus concentration of HIV. I am the active partner and he is the passive, practising safe sex all the times. I am worried though that mucus is concentrated on the condom and my penis, so I pay special attention while washing myself. However, there have been times that flowing water in the shower has touched the tip of my penis. Also, what are the risks of rimming a HIV+ partner?

Thank you so much for your response. You have been really helpful in the past.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 22nd, 2010
I haven't seen anything regarding to mucus spreading HIV. Although it is really likely for the internal wall of the anus to bleed during anal intercourse, thus the infect can happen. Again, condom is a good defense for HIV.

I am not sure if i am interpreting your second part correctly. I think water does not carry the virus, since they live in body fluids.

Sorry I can't help you further.
|

replied July 25th, 2011
HIV is present in anal mucus
WRONG! HIV is present in anal mucus and evidence has indicated in high enough quantities to transmit HIV the paper by Zuckerman in 2004 entitled Higher concentration of HIV RNA in Rectal Mucosa Secretions than in Blood and Seminal Plasma, among Men Who Have Sex with Men,Independent of Antiretroviral Therapy
|