Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Anal itch after walking

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello,

I have had this issue for about a year now. When I walk a notable distance (ten minutes or more) I begin to have a terrible itch in my anal/rectal area. It is so problematic that I struggle to walk for more than this amount of time and had to end walks early. The itch will go away after a few minutes. I haven't noted any major lifestyle changes. I am a vegetarian, but doubt this could be a cause as I have been for three years now. The itch only occurs when walking for more than 5-10 minutes.

In addition to the itch, it almost feels as though something is seeping in my rectum, but I suppose this could simply be sweat?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I went to the doctor a number of months ago with no success (he actually told me to try sticking a tissue in my anus before walks!).

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You are experiencing problem known as fecal incontinence, or impaired bowel control ( loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements), that results in unexpected leak of stool, gas or mucus from the anus.
There are different grades or cases with different intensity of impaired bowel control.
You are probably having a milder case, since the leakage isn't a stool, probably just a mucus, and you have it only provoked by walking.
Actually, this condition can vary from being partial, in which a person loses only a small amount of liquid waste, to complete, in which the entire solid bowel movement cannot be controlled.
The skin around the anus is delicate and sensitive, and contact between skin and stool or mucus can cause pain or itching.
Whenever a rectral dysfunction is present with walking, a spinal cord should be investigated for posibble disc hernia.
There are different cause for this condition, and you should see a gastroenterologist as soon as posibble.

Best wishes!
Marija
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply