Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Anabolic definition

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
User Profile
I just bought something today for gaining muscle weight it's called "Super Muscle & Weight GAINER" by Body Fortress. I read a sentence on the bottle and it said "A good source of fiber is combined with slow-acting casein protein for time release effects that keep your muscles pumped with anabolic nutrients for a longer period". Can someone just explain what that sentence means? I don't by any means, want to take a steroid and I know there's a steroid called Anabolic Steroid, so before I take this I want to make sure it's okay to take. I'm thinking it's something like muscle milk but I'm not sure. Any thoughts? Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Anabolic means synthesis pertaining to constructive metabolism in which smaller units are built into more complex units. Easy way to think of it is lego pieces (in this case it means nutrients) being put together into a bigger whole piece. Catabolic is the opposite, where the complex units break down into smaller ones.

It is great that you are questioning what you are buying, it is a great way to rid ourselves from ignorance, do that for everything in your life. But, just to let you know, such products probably don't work, you just spent money on nothing except giving you more yellow piss. Unless you are going to take growth hormones or steroids itself, the only way to get bigger is proper eating, proper exercise and hard work.
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2008
Okay thank you, I bought that mostly because of the calories and the protein giving me enough energy to finish my workout. I'm definitely eating right, I try to eat a lot of steak/poultry. My friend told me that after a workout you should eat poultry but I forgot why... Razz. So drinking this kinda stuff will help me in no way if I workout hard? I also heard eating steak before a workout is a good thing to do.
Thanks for responding Smile
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Drinking protein shakes and these other products will work to a MINIMAL effect at best. There is no guarantee it would do something for you, it might, but it won't be the major factor on your quest to get bigger for sure.

You don't need to overdose on protein either, your body absorbs only so much, and then flushes the rest out. I wouldn't eat steak that often too if I were you.

No problem, work hard, if you need help training, let us know.
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2008
Alright thanks, yeah I only eat steak once in a while. I'll definitely let you know, I like learning about this kinda stuff. Smile
|

replied May 15th, 2008
Supporter
Depends on what your goals are and the rest of your diet. I am trainng for bodybuilding competition right now. My protein intake is 1.5g of protein for evey pound I weigh. I need that to ensure I am getting enough amino acids to rebuild and repair and maintain muscle since I am in a calorie deficit. I will make minimal if any gains on this type of diet but I will lose body fat which is what I want.

My diet is high fat high protein and no carbs with a carb load on the weekend to restore glycogen. But getting abck to your question you can make your body naturally anabolic by doingt he diet I am on and taking protein is a major factor in any diet period. Do not listen to the so called experts who sit behind a desk all day and are fat and out of shape. I get my information from people who live the lifestyle and make it their lives.

Another thing....eat your beef everyday for one meal it fills your muscles out and is a great source of fat and protein just on't over do it. Your body only needs fats and proteins to recooperate not carbs. We as humans are not predesposed to digest carbs in the first place and don't ever forget that because it is key to any diet.
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2008
Okay thanks.
|