Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Ammonia smell in urine

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
My urine occasionally smells very strongly of ammonia. I have done a little research and only found that ammonia is carried out as waste when the body breaks down proteins. I just would like some input on why it smells this way, am I eating to much of one thing or not enough? Is my body not breaking something down right? I don't have any other symptoms that indicate a UTI or a kidney infection. No pain or discharge, just the smell. Please someone help and any kind of tips on how to stop this would be great!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 30th, 2011
You don't necessarily need to have other symptoms. Every person and every infection is different. I have been getting recurrent UTI's for 8 years. Sometimes there will be blood in the urine, other times it will just smell really strong like ammonia. While a lot of people get fevers and abdominal cramps with UTI's, I have never experienced either of these. The only way to diagnose it is to go to your doctor and get a urinalysis. UTI's can become very serious if they spread to your kidneys and have the potential to cause permanent kidney damage, so it is very important to get them treated asap.
|
Did you find this post helpful?