Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Am I more at risk?

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
Hi,

My older sister was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer - Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. As far as we know, there is no other history of breast cancer in our family, on either our mom or dad's side. I am wondering if I am more at risk of breast cancer now that she has it? Should I do anything different other than my usual physical exams every couple years? (I am only 29; she is only 35)

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2012
Experienced User
I am sorry that your sister has IDC. If she has not done so already, she should consider having a nathuropathic oncologist as part of her medical team. Genarally, patients diagnosed with cancer have better outcomes when they receive adjunctive, supportive cancer therapies.

You can take steps to prevent getting breast cancer.
Increase your consumption of vegetables, especially cruciferous family - cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts and kale. The main ingredient in these vegetables is indole carbinols, which promote 2 hydroxyestrone, (a protective estrogen) and counters the proliferative effect of carcinogenic 16 alphahydroxy estrone (a bad estrogen). Indole carbinols are also available in capsule form as I3C or DIM.

Consume foods such as garlic, onions, lettuce and cruciferous vegetables that promote bonding of bile to glucuronic acid which aids our body in removing bad estrogens. Calcium D-Glucaric acid is a supplement that improves estrogen metabolism. It should be taken in doses of 500mg twice daily.

Inositol hexaphoshate, known as IP-6, 1200mg daily. Derived from rice bran, IP-6 can decrease cell division; induce normal cell death and stop metastases.

Also check out a site called "Breast Cancer Choices" you'll find lots of great info and strategies there. And you may want to consider getting a breast thermograms too.

For women to actually prevent breast cancer, the first thermogram (NOT mammogram) should IMO be done around age 25. This is because breast cancer takes up to 15 years to become serious and the highest fatalities occur between the ages of 40-44.

By the time a tumor becomes the size of a pin head, which is nearly two years into its growth, it can no longer be sustained by the normal blood supply and so it develops its own. The development of that blood supply is called angiogenesis.

Thermography is the ONLY technology available that can detect angiogenesis. It is widely used in Europe. A tumor at that early stage cannot be detected by mammography or any other technology.

Also, each series of mammograms increases a woman's risk of developing breast cancer by one percent per breast. As the effects of radiation accumulate over time, if one was to follow the American Cancer Society's recommendation to have mammography every year from age 40 to 50, that risk for developing breast cancer has increased 10 percent per breast over and above whatever ones risk was already.

The other alternative is to have digital breast tomosynthesis. It overcomes the limitations of conventional mammography. The big problem in conventional mammography is that 3D anatomical information is projected into a 2D image plane, limiting the ability to detect certain cancers.
And dense breast tissue and overlapping structures often lead to false positive or false negative results.

Digital tomosynthesis are found to have an average lifetime risk of fatal breast cancer of 1.3 cases, per 100,000 women 40 years of age at exposure. On the other hand, mammography, either digital or screen-film, performed annually in women from age 40 to age 80, is associated with causing fatal breast cancer in 20 to 25 cases out of 100,000 women

My advice is to have thermograms done starting now, if suspicious, then breast ultrasound or MRI, if suspicious, then breast tomosynthesis.

I hope this helps.

Tricia
|
Users who thank TriciaHealthy for this post: smacky 

replied May 18th, 2012
Experienced User
Smacky, I am sorry for your sister as this is not something I would wish on anybody.

Both of you must wear underwire and / or push-up type bras which they are well know to cause breast pain and cancer. Underwire bras cut off the lymphatic and blood circulatory systems. They also cut off the mammary glands.

I know of a woman of 18 years old who had breast cancer. When wearing these types of bras, it does not matter how old you are as it affect woman of any age. That is why I recommend strongly that You should both should wear full type cup bras without the underwire.

As far as I am concerned, breast cancer is not hereditary. If women would stay away from underwire bras, they would have healthier breasts.

Hope this helps
|