Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Am i depressed or just in a puberty?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I'm a 13 year old girl.About a year ago, i've started cutting and it was really bad,now i cut only like once in a while so it's not that bad.Also i've found myself feeling down and empty like nothing can really fill me.I also feel really depressed and i just don't know why, but i haven't told anyone yet, i'm scared what will they do.And i'm really mean, firsr it was just to my parents and brother for no reason, now i'm mean to my classmates and teachers! But i just can't control myself and it sucks.I've also started to push them away and i just feel like no one really cares):
And i can get like 12 hours of sleep, i still feel tired most time of the day idk why.
And it's been going like that on and off for about a year now
Am i depressed or is it just puberty stuff?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 8th, 2017
Hi there Smile
First of all, I found your question by asking me the same thing and Im already 19 y/o.
Thing is, I keep telling myself, that it will just go away. Ive been doing this for 1.5 years now and everything just got worse.
Today I finally called a therapist and I will go there on monday, while Im not sure if it isnt better to go there stationary (staying there).
Now back to you:
The sleeping issue is something that happens to alot of people (me included) and normally shouldnt specifically have to do with neither puberty or depression, but can definitely be a result of both.
Being mean on the other hand is a big problem. Manly because such behavior can really cause them to no longer care about you and therefor throw you even deeper down into dispair and self-hatred.
The search for sth. to fill you is also typical in both cases.

Now to the most concerning part of your question: "I cut only like once in a while so it's not that bad."
This really is a big problem. Dont get me wrong, Im not judgeing you by any means. i totally understand why so. would do this (sidenote: I try really hard to not get started on hurting myself).
Whats concerning is that you already did it a few times.
The fact that you thought it could work shows, that something is more than just sad inside you. Normally (even in puberty as far as I know) we feel these spikes of happiness and sadness.If you are depressed however, you normally would just feel most of the time sad. The few "highlights" arent enough to keep you "not sad". If this is the case over a long period of time, you probably are some sort of depressed.

If you would ask me, I would tell you to talk to so. about it. I know how hard this can be. I personally taked to my best friend first and later to my mum.
And please consider therapy! If you arent doing it for yourself, do it at least for me.

Anyway, I hope you will get better at some point.
Stay Strong!

Love
Maxi
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply