I use it with my vaporiser at night to treat my cold sinus. I have no history of ashma, but when I had it on, I was starting to gasp for air. When I turn off, I could breath better in matter of minutes.
I know I am allergic to a few air born pollens, but never had any allergy to any food or medicine.
I have an asthmatic reaction to eucalyptus, which I found out by using Vicks. I also react this way to kale and yellow dye, and I say this in case they are linked and you have a problem with them, too. I am also allergic to mould, grasses and ragweed pollen.
Since there is very little eucalyptus or eucalytol in Vicks(1.2%) and it's nonallergenic. It's hardly likely that you had an allergic reaction to it. What you are probably allergic to is Menthol or Camphor and there is lots of each of those in Vicks. They use Eucalyptus in the Vaporisors in the Stollery Childrens hospital in Edmonton and don't have a problem with it. So before you start maligning Eucalyptus, you might want to get your facts straight.
It is more likely the Camphor. You can only be allergic to Eucalyptus, if you drink alot( to strong a mixture in water) or breath in the pollen from the plant. If you drink it over 50% pure, then you will likely die. The proof of this is in a 3 year clinical study by Sherril Sego FNP-C, DNP, a staff clinician at the VA Hospital in Kansas City, Mo.
The definitive test is to take pure extract and apply a small amount to your upper arm and if no rash occurs in 24 hrs., then Eucalyptus is not the culprit.
Try this before you start maligning Eucalyptus, without proof.
If it turns out to be Eucalyptus. You're pretty much hooped, because it is in hundreds of things-- like Toothpaste, Cough syrup and Candy. I wish you luck with getting away from it.
Why? Don't you think there is Camphor and/or Menthol in Cough Drops? If you think that you better start reading the Labels more carefully.
People with asthma may have strong allergic reaction to eucalyptus. Not maligning it, not telling anyone that it is bad, just making not that it is possible to have an allergic reation. Hope this helps.
I think I might be allergic. I'm looking for answers. Whenever I just smell eucalyptus oil I immediately get a huge headache, dizziness and nausea. I just used the Eureka Eucalyptus Water soluble solution 200mg/g. Definitely NOT mixed with anything else. So there is no confusion.
I am very allergic to eucalyptus as well, and don't understand why it has become so popular. I feel sick after walking past the florist section of the grocery store, cannot visit the craft shop without suffering a tremendous headache, and cannot be around anyone using a cough drop , Listerine products, or Vicks. It is now being added to Kleenex and I have to hurry down that aisle at the grocery store, and my new can of Comet cleaner for the toilet even has it! However, the manufacturers see no need to list it as an ingredient. Last year, I went into respiratory distress from eating a breath mint that contained eucalyptol. Very inconvenient allergy, and I seem to have inherited it from my Mom. So those who say it's not possible to be allergic to eucalyptus do not know what they are talking about. It's attitude like that has made me and my Mom miserable on many occasions.
I believe I am allergic to eucalyptus as well. I come in contact with it when I am around people I know who use essential oils. The first time I felt it someone was using eucalyptus oil in a vaporizer. My throat and lungs burned and it felt like the air passages closed somewhat. I get headaches and my sinuses go haywire when I am around open bottles of the oil or people who have it on.
I am in no way maligning it by saying I have an allergy to it. It's possible to be allergic to just about anything-including things that are generally good for other people. I wish I could eat bananas because I know they are healthy, but I am allergic to them. It doesn't mean I think they are terrible and I don't think anyone should eat them.
I had suspected that I was allergic to many things because all of a sudden I had asthma and rhinitis. I went to an immunologist and was given needle allergy test. It showed that I am allergic to eucalyptus, dust mites, cats, dogs, rabbits, milk (blood test), certain local trees, grass and a few more things. It has changed my life I am in immunotherapy for the next 3 to 5 years and have to watch my every purchases in my life.