Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Am I allergic to Eucalyptus oil?

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I use it with my vaporiser at night to treat my cold sinus. I have no history of ashma, but when I had it on, I was starting to gasp for air. When I turn off, I could breath better in matter of minutes.

I know I am allergic to a few air born pollens, but never had any allergy to any food or medicine.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 5th, 2011
Allergy to eucalyptus
I have an asthmatic reaction to eucalyptus, which I found out by using Vicks. I also react this way to kale and yellow dye, and I say this in case they are linked and you have a problem with them, too. I am also allergic to mould, grasses and ragweed pollen.
|

replied January 27th, 2013
Since there is very little eucalyptus or eucalytol in Vicks(1.2%) and it's nonallergenic. It's hardly likely that you had an allergic reaction to it. What you are probably allergic to is Menthol or Camphor and there is lots of each of those in Vicks. They use Eucalyptus in the Vaporisors in the Stollery Childrens hospital in Edmonton and don't have a problem with it. So before you start maligning Eucalyptus, you might want to get your facts straight.
|

replied April 18th, 2013
Eucalyptus allergy
I am extremely allergic to eucalyptus. One cough drop swells my whole mouth, so I wouldn't assume it was the camphor or menthol.
|

replied April 18th, 2013
I am extremely allergic to eucalyptus. One cough drop swells my whole mouth, so I wouldn't assume it was the camphor or menthol.
|

replied April 21st, 2013
It is more likely the Camphor. You can only be allergic to Eucalyptus, if you drink alot( to strong a mixture in water) or breath in the pollen from the plant. If you drink it over 50% pure, then you will likely die. The proof of this is in a 3 year clinical study by Sherril Sego FNP-C, DNP, a staff clinician at the VA Hospital in Kansas City, Mo.
The definitive test is to take pure extract and apply a small amount to your upper arm and if no rash occurs in 24 hrs., then Eucalyptus is not the culprit.
Try this before you start maligning Eucalyptus, without proof.
If it turns out to be Eucalyptus. You're pretty much hooped, because it is in hundreds of things-- like Toothpaste, Cough syrup and Candy. I wish you luck with getting away from it.
Why? Don't you think there is Camphor and/or Menthol in Cough Drops? If you think that you better start reading the Labels more carefully.
|

replied July 15th, 2013
allergy to eucalyptus

People with asthma may have strong allergic reaction to eucalyptus. Not maligning it, not telling anyone that it is bad, just making not that it is possible to have an allergic reation. Hope this helps.
|

replied October 30th, 2013
Allergy of Ecalyptus Oil
I think I might be allergic. I'm looking for answers. Whenever I just smell eucalyptus oil I immediately get a huge headache, dizziness and nausea. I just used the Eureka Eucalyptus Water soluble solution 200mg/g. Definitely NOT mixed with anything else. So there is no confusion.
|

replied January 16th, 2014
I am very allergic to eucalyptus as well, and don't understand why it has become so popular. I feel sick after walking past the florist section of the grocery store, cannot visit the craft shop without suffering a tremendous headache, and cannot be around anyone using a cough drop , Listerine products, or Vicks. It is now being added to Kleenex and I have to hurry down that aisle at the grocery store, and my new can of Comet cleaner for the toilet even has it! However, the manufacturers see no need to list it as an ingredient. Last year, I went into respiratory distress from eating a breath mint that contained eucalyptol. Very inconvenient allergy, and I seem to have inherited it from my Mom. So those who say it's not possible to be allergic to eucalyptus do not know what they are talking about. It's attitude like that has made me and my Mom miserable on many occasions.
|