Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Always feel urge to urinate

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Since October, I've felt the urge to urinate for every waking moment of my life. The urgency of urination is variable, but it is always there an is a huge reducer to quality of life. To be clear, actually going to the washroom does not make the feeling go away. In fact, it only makes it feel worse.

However, I don't get up at night to urinate or anything like that.

We've tried a variety of things, such as potentially constipation was making waste back up and press on the bladder. This was not it. Almost a week ago, my doctor prescribed Detrol LA 2mg (Tolterodine L-tartrate 2mg) capsules, to be taken once a day. I first started taking them a week and a half ago, and they don't seem to have had an effect. It's for a condition called "overactive bladder", however, the symptoms of this condition don't really match mine.

I also drink lots of water every day, and I don't have diabetes. The urine tests and blood tests are clean, and I don't have a UTI. I also do not have an enlarged prostate. I am 15.

If you know anything that can help me, please speak up. This problem has been a severe impairment to the enjoyment of life, and my quality of life. Do not judge, this problem is much worse than it may at first sound.

Thank you very much.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2009
Supporter
It could be prostatitis, inflammation of the prostate. Have you had your prostate checked?
|

replied May 4th, 2009
I'm pretty sure, I got an X-ray there.
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2009
Supporter
You may want to get your medical records or ask the doctor about it to be sure. An enlarged prostate can press against the bladder and cause a man to feel like he needs to urinate, even when his bladder is empty. I think you need to rule this out before going any further since it fits your symptoms so much.
|

replied May 5th, 2009
Okay, thanks, I have an appointment tomorrow. I'll ask. Thank you!
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2009
Supporter
You're welcome. Please post your results for those who may be following this topic.
|

replied May 6th, 2009
Just had my prostate checked.

It's normal.
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2009
Supporter
Have you seen a urologist?
There is a disorder called interstitial cystitis/ painful bladder syndrome. It is caused by damage to the bladder wall. This damage can cause inflammation of the bladder that causes a person to feel constant pressure or fullness in the bladder. For some people, it includes frequent urination and for others, there is only the sensation of fullness but when they go to the bathroom there is little or no urine or relief.
|

replied May 9th, 2009
It takes two months to see a urologist; I made an appointment at the beginning of April. So on May 28 I will finally be able to see a urologist.
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
Any remedy for this issue from 2 years ago?
I realize this thread is a couple years old and was suddenly ended. I am experiencing this same issue for two months now and after several doctor visits with no exact cause. I am hopeful Jesusboiii was able to resolve his issue and maybe gets this and can provide some feedback as to the cause. I don't know your age, but I am 38 and therefore do not have an enlarged prostate. Most likely inflamed and pressing on my urethra or possibly a stricture somewhere. I have more tests upcoming, but my quality of life has been impacted heavily by this as you explained. I am currently taking Rapaflo, which relaxes the area and may be helping a little, not sure. The retrograde ejaculation side effect is quite strange though.
|