Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Alternative to a HIDA scan?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I'm told that I have all the symptoms of gallbladder disease, but my ultrasound didn't show stones. My gastroenterologist tried to get me to sit for a HIDA scan but after reading up on it there is no WAY I'm doing it. I've heard some real horror stories, and I can't stand the thought of someone purposely inducing the pain just to prove it's there. I already know what triggers it and there is nothing else it could possibly be at this point. Plus because my local doctors office doesn't stock the chemical that contracts the gallbladder for the test I'd have to eat something fatty to make it contract. Meaning I'd not only be in pain on the table, I'd also probably hurt for a good 12 hours afterwards.

When you slam your fingers in the door they don't have to hit them with a sledgehammer to make sure they hurt, so why do this test when I already know exactly what's going to happen!? Agh!

Anyway, I was wondering if there were any alternatives to the HIDA scan to diagnose gb disease. I just want this whole thing to be over so I can have my gallbladder out already.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Here is a brief description, of HIDA scan and its importance.

HIDA scan of the gallbladder may be done when a gallbladder disorder is suspected but no gallstones are found by an ultrasonography.

When HIDA is injected into the blood, over time it is excreted by liver into the bile and distribution of the bile among gallbladder, cystic and common bile duct can be traced and recorded by radio-detective camera.

Then a hormone cholecystokinin (CCK), which causes gallbladder contraction, will be injected into your vein and another set of images will be made (this part of investigation is not always done) - As in your case.

Some important interpretations of the HIDA scan are as follows:

HIDA scan may reveal:

1. Stones in the gallbladder (gallbladder is not completely filled with the dye)

2. Obstruction in the cystic duct (dye does not enter the gallbladder at all)

3. Obstruction of the common bile duct (dye is not excreted into the duodenum)

4. Bile leakage, if there is a perforation in the gallbladder or bile ducts (dye outside of biliary system)

5. Biliary dyskinesia (improper painful contraction of the gallbladder containing no gallstones) may be detected by CCK-HIDA scan

You might consult your gastroenterologist, and put forward your concerns and he might provide proper answers and decide on the next appropriate step.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.