Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

Alternative therapies for anxiety? (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Has anyone had good luck using inositol (600 mg) or magnesium (300 mg) or ginseng (150 mg/3X a day) for anxiety? How about valerian , St John's wort or Rescue Remedy?

Thanks!

Susan
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Susan,

I give my children inositol daily for anxiety and psychiatric disorders. It does help. I have just started using a new product called Triple Nerve Tonic by Native Remedies. It is truly amazing. My son calms down shortly after taking it. Today he asked to take some because he was getting really upset. It is a homeopathic medicine. I am really impressed by it. We have tried so many products and have had marginal results from most. I think this may be a great alternative to standard medications.

I worked for several years in the natural food and supplement business at a retail store. Many people used rescue remedy and reported that it worked very well. I had forgotten about rescue remedy. Perhaps I will get some and keep it on hand. Valerian is very effective for mild anxiety. St. John's Wort is used to treat mild to moderate depression. My oldest son is taking Perika by Nature's Way. This is a St. John's wort preparation but is more easily assimilated and utilized by the body. It has been very effective for my son. I was getting to the point of taking him to the doctor for medication but decided to try the Perika. Magnesium will help with physical relaxation and smooth muscle relaxation. Ginseng is used for increased energy.

I hope this helps. Try the nerve tonic by Native Remedies. I am not easily impressed but this is really an awesome product.
|

replied April 15th, 2008
Alternative Therapies for Anxiety
Hi Susan,

I understand that a deficiency of magnesium can contribute to the onset of anxiety, so supplementing with magnesium can probably work if in fact a person is deficient.

Ginseng, considered an adaptogen, is recommended by some alternative health care practitioners for balancing and maintaining stress levels and we know that anxiety can become the result of too much stress in our lives. However, as the other post from antigone indicated, Ginseng is more associated with increasing energy and not as a treatment for anxiety.

Valerian is used to treat anxiety and insomnia and is often recommended in combination with passion flower to treat anxiety. Another combination that has been proven clinically to treat anxiety is passion flower and lemon balm.

I have spoken with a number of different naturopathic doctors (ND) and I know of one ND that highly recommends and prescribes Rescue Remedy to her patients suffering from anxiety and panic attacks.

Since everyone has different bio chemical make-ups, and there are a number of potential causes that can facilitate the onset of anxiety, I believe the dosages recommended should be left up to the health care practitioner. What works for one person may not work well for another. I believe that recommendations for supplementation should come after the cause(s) of a person’s anxiety has been determined. That way the proper supplementation can be prescribed in the correct combinations and dosages to fit individual need. I also believe a person has a better chance of the supplements working optimally by finding out first what the underlying root cause of their anxiety is. Very Happy
|

replied April 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
I don't know if this qualifies as a true alternative treatment for anxiety since it is medically proven to be the most effective treatment, but it is so underutilized and took me so long to discover that I would define it as alternative. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT. I finished a cbt group almost two years ago and it has given me my life back. It's not magic so you have to be willing to put some work in, but it is well worth it. I still counter my thoughts in a TEA form most everyday to keep my anxiety at a minimum and I no longer take any meds and feel better than I have ever felt. I highly recommend looking into CBT and giving it a try in a group setting or if you are motivated you can do it on your own through books, since the homework exercises are what really get you better. There are lots of good CBT books but I recommend starting with the one we used in our group called Been there, done that? Do This! by Sam Obitz because it is short and encouraging and the TEA form exercise in it is what helped me help myself the most. Good luck.
|

replied April 23rd, 2008
I will get the book. Thanks! Another thing I have heard of in guaifenesin--an ingredient in cough syrup like Robitussin!?

Susan
|

replied April 24th, 2008
Experienced User
No problem and if you have any questions message me. The key for me has been countering my thoughts in the TEA form exercise. Now it kind of inoculates me from anxiety before it gets a chance to take hold. I hope they help you too. Try and work on them for at least a little while everyday. They are hard to do at first but once you get the hang of them they really help a lot Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2008
I use Magnesium for restless legs and it works well when I take it with Calcium. More Magnesium than calcium works better for me.
|

replied March 21st, 2009
Experienced User
Hey Susan, how are you doing? I hope you are doing great! Let me know?
|

replied April 28th, 2009
Herbal Treatment
Hi, I am new comer here
how great if this forum appear more herbal treatment solution

Barnavies
|

replied June 19th, 2009
Experienced User
Welcome! I think this is a great place for any kind of alternative treatment advice.
|

replied July 12th, 2009
Any ideas that could help me be able to take that deep breath ?
Im having such a hard time regulating my breathing its scary

Geoffrey
|

User Profile
replied July 12th, 2009
Supporter
Vitamin D does a great job if you have body pain.
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
gmichael,
Try taking a yoga class and learn cbt. Both will lower your anxiety and relieve the tightness that is making it hard for you to take deep breaths.
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
Supporter
I do yoga twice a week and have been exercising at the gym daily. It really helps with anxiety and depression. I took myself off my meds and started taking Omega 3 fish oil, St. John's Wort, and I put Peppermint oil in my water to help with stomach problems. The combination have done wonders for me. I haven't told anyone, not even my family that I haven't been taking my meds and the only thing they've noticed is that I seem a lot happier and more energetic. HHMM, that tells ya something, doesn't it?
|

replied July 30th, 2009
Experienced User
Indeed it does Wendy!
|

replied November 16th, 2009
Experienced User
Gmichael, did you ever try any of our suggestions? If so did they help you?
I hope you are feeling better.
|

replied December 10th, 2009
I have severe anxiety disorder and I have taken clonopin, xanax, and valium. The clonopin quickly became uneffective, the xanax was causing memory loss and dyslexia, the valium worked but you are not supposed to stay on it longer than 8 weeks, after I went off my anxiety returned. A few years ago I started taking L-theanine and it has worked better than anything else I tried and has not lost its effectiveness or caused side effects.
|

replied March 5th, 2010
Experienced User
Always good to hear success stories Jargon. I hope you continue to feel well Smile
|

replied March 15th, 2010
Plant essential oils can be added to baths, massage oil, or infusers. Essential oils that are used for anxiety and nervous tension are: bergamot, cypress, geranium, jasmine, lavender, melissa, neroli, rose, sandalwood, ylang-ylang. Lavender is the most common and forms the base of many relaxing blends.
|

replied April 16th, 2010
Experienced User
Jargon and Gmichael I hope that post being reviewed is not yours because it seems like the ones under review never appear. Hope you are both doing well?
|
12 >>
Quick Reply