Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

ALT , AST and yGT

Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
User Profile
Hi doctor ,
what dose it mean ALT ,AST , yGT ?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2009
Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Answer A8664
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know what ALT, AST and yGT mean.

ALT, AST and yGT are enzymes markers of the liver function. Alanine transaminase (ALT), also known as Serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase (SGPT) is an enzyme found in the highest amounts in the liver. AST is aspartate aminotransferase also known as Serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase (SGOT). yGT means Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) and is also an enzyme found in the liver. Injury to the liver results in release of the substances into the blood, so their level would be increased. Damage to the liver may appear in hepatitis due to viral infection, alcohol consumption, cirrhosis, cancer and metastasis in the liver, etc.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.