Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Allergy to water

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I cannot figure out what is going on with my hands! Every time I come in contact with water, my skin like softens and gets little air filled bubbles or chunks of the top layer of skin starts falling off. I have had this from a very young age, and I am now 17, and I'm afraid of the shower! That's where it is the worst. The revealed layer of skin burns horribly from any temperature water. This heals eventually, and won't act up if i do not irritate it, but it happens eventually no matter what. I know I have multiple allergies, skin, medical, seasonal, and otherwise, and I have used All Free Clear and Dove my whole life, and I know that isn't what is causing it. My doctor had prescribed Elidel when i was younger and that had relieved a lot of the discomfort, but I am now out of it. He now has me using Fluocinonide cream, and it does not seem to help me. He has also not given me a direct diagnosis. Anyone out there that knows where I'm coming from, or a doctor that can tell me what this is?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2009
Supporter
That sounds so frustrating and painful. My advice to you would be to make sure to use a body soap that has no perfume. Also, I would get a second opinion from a another doctor. Make sure they take blood and check to see if there is something other than just allergies going on.
|
Users who thank wendyrs for this post: Tazzy638 

replied July 1st, 2009
I had just taken a shower and felt like describing more into this. its like bubbles of air come up and open on top of my skin, the skin dies and falls off, i mean i see these things forming as my hands are in water, (had to experiment, OUCH!) so i dont think its soaps....
|

replied July 1st, 2009
Perhaps you are allergic to the chemicals in the water. Usually chemicals are added to city water to purify it. Does this happen when you swim in the lake?
Celiac Disease can present with strange skin rashes and also some vitamin deficiencies can cause a skin rash. I would ask for a referral to an Immunologist and a Dermatologist. Good Luck!
Celiac Nurse
|