Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Allergies and Endometriosis....linked?

Must Read
What is endometriosis and where does it occur on a woman's body? We outline the basics of endometriosis here, a condition that can affect millions of women....
Endometriosis can cause infertility...but what are the reasons that a woman might experience this condition? And what puts you at higher risk for developing it?...
Early symptoms of endometriosis can seem normal. But when should you ask your doctor for help? We outline the problem signs and symptoms here....
Well, for one, I don't have allergies. But I noticed that quite recently, I'm getting symptoms of allergic reactions -hives, inability to breathe, and I even had to get antihistamine shots to send down my hives. And it was scary because I couldn't breathe, and I have no idea what caused it and it tends to happen in the night. A doctor told me I had "mad blood" since he didn't know, or couldn't help me to figure out what caused my "allergies". The creepy thing about my scenario is that my "allergies" came right before I started bleeding outside of my period, my period pain went up exponentially, and amazingly, my doctor thinks I could have endometriosis, although I was diagnosed with PID (ironically I'm not sexually active). But what exactly is "mad blood"? I find the term sounds somewhat insulting. I've had those allergy-type symptoms a while now, but they always seem to happen right before something goes weird with my menstrual cycle. Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 24th, 2011
I have had "allergy attacks" for the past 19 years which occur only on the first or second day of my period. The very first every in my life allergy started my first period after the birth of my first child. I am now 39 years old. (These consit of closing of my throat and full body hives and swelling of eyes, ears and lips which I now can use a puffer control and a benedryl to control instead of the dreaded epi-pen and trip to E.R.). It took me 19 years to figure out that this could be related to endometriosis! I have suffered from a daily migrane headache for the past 2 years that gets to a level of 10 out of 10 four days before my period and stays at that level for a week. I have an ultrasound in two days to check for ovarian cysts. I know that all of my problems (migranes, allergies, severe pain on my left side first day of period, low blood sugar...) are related... just can't find the right doctor and neurologist who can see eye to eye on anything!
|

replied January 19th, 2012
Endo and allergies
Hi Marlip
I just spent the whole day yesterday in hospital - 2 hospitals infact. I suffered a major allergy attack one hour from when I arrived to the office. I took my telfast tablet but it was effective. My colleague rushed me to the nearest hospital. ....
I also am 39 years old, but yet to have children.
I'm diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis - only after failing to conceive with my husband for one year.
I have suffered major cramps with my periods from my first period - i hated it so much I wish i was a boy.
My allergies - hives and every time swollen eyes appeared in my early twenties. Today - I checked my last year's diary and found the repeated pattern of my allergy - swollen eyes/hives occur before, during or after my periods for 10 of 12months. I can confirm in my case there is a relationship between my endo disease and the allergy attacks I suffer.
Hence I decided to look up endo and allergy link. Since I have had allergy tests showing no unusual results.
I also have been having major major migraines days before my period starts - these started roughly 3 years ago.
I read your story and almost felt i was reading my story - so many similarities.
I have been to a gyno who gave me the option or IVF or bowel surgery - resulting from the laproscopy.
I have sought chinese herbal medicine treatment - as the surgery is very high risk. I have had two batches of medicine already (like 100 bags each - taste and smell awful) - My bleeding has reduced but by the third/fourth day there is extreme cramp pain - it feels like from my bowels - like blocked bowels or bloating. I would like to give the chinese medicine another try - i am too fearful of operations - I already had my gall bladder removed. I surely have bad health even though I don't drink and smoke and live a very plain life. I will get confirmation from my accupuncturist of the diet i need to follow - praying it will stop the allergy attacks and treat my endo.... and allow me to conceive and have a beautiful healthy baby...
|

replied May 1st, 2011
I had endometriosis years ago but I'm sure there's no link as all my cousins have asthma too on my Mum's side.
|

replied May 5th, 2011
http://www.endocenter.org/about.htm

Apart from that, my gynecologist said that there's a possibility it could be linked in some women because of its possible immunological cause, and I can see that as a possibility based on what I came across in my biology texts about immunity, and allergic reactions.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied May 14th, 2012
Probably a bit late but there is a condition called progesterone autoimmune dermatitis which I read about whilst researching allergies associated with the menstrual cycle.
http://www.clinicalmolecularallergy.com/co ntent/2/1/10
I have different symptoms - I seem to have hayfever symptoms shortly before and for a few days into my period. Starts off with a sore throat then super runny nose and wheezing for a few days then nothing. This all started at the same time I was diagnosed with hemiplegic migraines. The migraines have reduced but judging by thereaction I'm having at the moment - the 'allergy' hasn't.
|