Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Allergies and asthma - increasing stamina

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
User Profile
Hi, I have allergies & asthma. I'm 47 & currently living in Jackson Hole WY. My meds are Singulair, Astepro, Atopiclair, Kenalog plus 3 bi-weekly allergy shots (3 serums) & monthly Xolair. The asthma & allergies are fairly well controlled, but must use my MaxAir inhaler before all exercise. I am now in rather good shape, having lost 20 lbs over the last 6 months by getting lots of great exercise up at altitude (~6,500 ft). I do xc & downhill skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, biking, etc. I also have mitral valve prolapse. I have done really well over the last 15 years to improve stamina, but just don't seem to be able to get past being winded while hiking/skiing whenever I'm on an uphill--especially when it's hot. My peak flow hasn't changed at all (400) despite my physical advances--much better muscle development than ever. I know I'm doing the right things, but is there something else I can do to deal with the uphills better? It's frustrating because I'm in the best shape of my life. Thx

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2010
Asthma Answer A9524
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Since you have allergy, asthma and mitral valve prolapse, and are on so many drugs (Singulair, Astepro, Atopiclair, Kenalog plus 3 bi-weekly allergy shots (3 serums) & monthly Xolair), it is advisable to go slow with uphill tasks.

If you are becoming breathless by the tasks you do daily while going uphill, you need to slow down the pace. Go uphill at a pace that does not make you breathless. After this slowly increase the pace over weeks. Give your body time to adjust to an increased pace. Exercising too fast with asthma and mitral valve prolapsed, without giving your body time to adjust may cause more harm than good.

Please discuss this with your doctor and physical trainer as a confirmed diagnosis to your problem and treatment for it cannot be prescribed on net without examining you. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.