Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Allergic to Psyllium Fiber? (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Wondering if anyone here has an allergy to Psyllium? After the Dr ordered me to start taking Metamucil daily, I began to break out in severe hives. I wasnt sure what was causing it, and never suspected the fiber. But after a week of suffering (full body hives) and taking antihistemines, it dawned on me that the fiber could be possible, and I stopped it completely. 1 or 2 days later the hives were gone.

Anyone else have this experience?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Questions4u
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Usually, psyllium is well tolerated, but, there is no guarantee of strength, purity or safety of products containing or claiming to contain psyllium. So, psyllium can cause allergic reaction, including rash, itching and shortness of breath. It can cause a severe anaphylactic reaction, too.
|

replied March 26th, 2011
I had a bad reaction to psyllium. My doctor prescribed Bran Buds twice a day for diverticulitis. Soon after starting the Bran Buds, I broke out in a rash on my body. Mostly from the waist up. It was driving me crazy . . I had to take antihistamines. I didn't know that Bran Buds contained psyllium, or I would never have eaten it.
I'm off the Buds, and sticking to plain old bran flakes, and all is well.
|

replied May 2nd, 2008
yea, I've read the facts on it. I'm actually looking for people that have had the actual experience themselves
|

replied June 1st, 2011
I had colitis 2 years ago, and I was instructed to take metamucil. I broke out in tiny red bumps over my entire body including my face and they eventually turned into baby whiteheads. I called the doctor and he had also prescribed me an anti-spasmotic called bentyl, but I never took it. He told me the it is very rare for people to be allergic to metamucil. I didnt tell him that i wasnt taking the bentyl and i stopped taking the metamucil and my rash went away in about 3 days.
|

replied May 27th, 2008
My wife, (this is her account) has been getting hives on her face and chest and arms. Mostly on her mouth and eyes. It is triggered when she is exposed to sunlight and has been going on for a couple years. We just realized that she has been taking Metamucil with psyllium for the exact same time period. She discontinued taking Metamucil a week ago but has not yet gone out in the sun. She plans on giving her body a couple more weeks to get it out of her system before staying out in the sun to test the theory.
|

replied October 18th, 2009
My husband stopped taking psylium tablets 3 days before taking his skin test with the allergist and what a surprise. By the second day he was no longer stuffy and slept great. He really doesn't need the allergist now that he knows what he is allergic to.
|

replied January 1st, 2010
We discovered that it may run in families. First in my son when he was young and the doctor recommended metamucil for constipation. Many years later we discovered an allergy also to psylium in my daughter after weeks of hives and when my son's allergy had long been forgotten. She was drinking protein shakes with psylium.
|

replied February 4th, 2010
Allergic to psyllium: could black barley soup also have psyllium
When I was a medication aide in the early 80's, I used to administer Metamucil to some of the patients. I would have an extreme sneezing attack unless I held my breath until it was stirred in liquid. One day, a nurse gave me some for constipation. I should have known better, and rather quickly had an anaphylactic reaction (throat swelling, wheezing, hives). Fast forward 30 years to yesterday when I ate some black barley soup at noon. By 2pm I was sneezing and congested, and by 4pm, I started getting large welts that lasted through the night. I don't know if it was the black barley soup or not, but it feels like an allergic reaction. I've never had allergies before (except Metamucil), and a physician said that since severe sneezing, congestion, itchy eyes, throat and ears were accompanied by hives, that it must have been something I injested. It doesn't feel like a cold. It's clearly an allergic reaction to something. I'm still sneezing and congested but most of the hives have subsided.
|

replied February 25th, 2010
Psyllium (metamuscil) sic
I took 5 psyllium capsules 3 evenings back and within a few minutes I started feeling like I was starting to get a cold, with sneezing, congestion and coughing. Next morning I felt fine. Took the capsules again the next evening and suffered the same effects. Felt fine this morning. Finally decided it was the psyllium causing the symtoms so took 5 more this evening to make sure. And, I am suffering the same symtoms again.
Of Course, I will stop taking them. I started taking the medication at the direction of my doctor after he performed a colonoscophy. Don't know what I can substitute for the psyllium, but will need something else. I am miserable and will be for a couple hours.
|

replied May 11th, 2010
psyllium allergy
I took 5 psyllium capsules for 3 days every morning. I started feeling tightness of chest in the evenings and rash in the mornings. my breathing difficulty would not let me sleep all night and I end up sleeping during the day. It did not occur to me this reaction is caused by Metamucil since I used to take it few years back and it was ok. But now seeing all the posts I m convinced it is from the Metamucil capsules.(maybe the powder has no PSYLLIUM?)
I havent had any for 24 hours so hoping the symptoms will disappear soon... but maybe I have to wait couple days for that!
|

replied February 13th, 2011
I had been suffering from "low grade" itching for well over a year. During that time I had been taking Metamucil wafers (cookies) 2-3 times a week as part of my diet. Then about 1 month ago (for no particular reason) I switched to powder form on a daily basis. About the same time, I developed a sever rash/hives and incredibly bad itching (that would last through most nights). I never associated the problem with Psyllium until a few days ago. I've stopped taking any form of Psyllium - and the improvement has been amazing! I'm 45yoM - I've never had any sort of allergy / allergic reaction before in my entire life. This has been quite an experience. I feel very fortunate to have found the problem. I'm surprised more is not said about psyllium allergies.
|

replied February 17th, 2011
psyllium hives allergy
I have had dermagraphia with hives for about 3 months...my doctor prescribed antihistimines that barely kept it under control. I thought the condition was caused by the nuclear heart test I took 2 days before the hives started...Then a week ago I read a report on health professionals who DEVELOPED a sensitivity to psyllium over time. I had been taking psyllium for 8 months!!! I quit taking it and within 2 days the hives were gone, but after 6 days the itching and dermograpghia are still pretty bad..How long willit take for the psyllium to get out of my system??? Help!

Mo
|

replied March 6th, 2011
Allergy to psyllium . .
I have been eating Bran Buds per my doctor for diverticulosis. The itching became so bad that I had to take an antihistamine for it. Then I realized that the itching began when I started eating the Brand Buds. So, I read the ingredients, and sure enough, one of the first ingredients is psyllium husk.
No more Brand Buds for me . . now I eat just plain Blan Flakes . . sometimes I put some raisins on it.
|

replied November 30th, 2011
Allergic reaction to Psyllium?
I have taken products containing psyllium twice. The first time a few years ago, I started having dry heaves and vomiting. I could not stop and ended up in the emergency room. I did not realize it was the psyllium (as I was told the metamucil could not have caused this reaction.) Well I took a colon cleanse product which contained psyllium recently. I ended up in the bathroom for hours again dry heaving until I finally vomited it up. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?
|

replied January 12th, 2012
Re: Allergic to Psyllium Fiber?
Questions4u wrote:
Wondering if anyone here has an allergy to Psyllium? After the Dr ordered me to start taking Metamucil daily, I began to break out in severe hives. I wasnt sure what was causing it, and never suspected the fiber. But after a week of suffering (full body hives) and taking antihistemines, it dawned on me that the fiber could be possible, and I stopped it completely. 1 or 2 days later the hives were gone.

Anyone else have this experience?

Yes as a matter of fact. I am a nurse who is severely allergic to psyllium. I recently had a severe reaction after eating something someone had made, not knowing they had put psyllium in it. (go figure) Within a few minutes my mouth began to itch and my ears began to itch and then i had trouble swallowing and my throat started to swell. i made it to the doctor but he was certain something else had caused the allergy, nuts perhaps although i am adamant it was the psyllium as i have never had a problem eating nuts. As for psyllium I cannot touch the stuff or ingest it due to an allergic response. so you are not alone and i would like to research further and talk to others who are allergic so we can all learn more together about this seemingly harmless psyllium.
|

yes, i have had a severe allergic reaction to psyllium also. i ate something that was offered by a colleague at work and unaware she had put psyllium in it. within a few minutes my mouth and ears began to itch and i had difficulty swallowing and then my throat started to swell. that was a scary experience and i am a nurse. i told the doctor and he said there is no way anyone could be allergic to psyllium. he is wrong and i am very allergic. maybe i taught him that he should listen closely to his patients because they may teach him a thing or two. that is what i try to practice as a nurse because the patient knows their own body the best.
|

yes, i have had a severe allergic reaction to psyllium also. i ate something that was offered by a colleague at work and unaware she had put psyllium in it. within a few minutes my mouth and ears began to itch and i had difficulty swallowing and then my throat started to swell. that was a scary experience and i am a nurse. i told the doctor and he said there is no way anyone could be allergic to psyllium. he is wrong and i am very allergic. maybe i taught him that he should listen closely to his patients because they may teach him a thing or two. that is what i try to practice as a nurse because the patient knows their own body the best.
|

replied February 10th, 2012
I was taking benefiber powder for my hit cholesterol over a year ago and developed hives. I didn't link the two until last weekend I started again after a year break from laziness. The 2nd day by night time my eyes started to itch and I had painful hives, not really itchy like a bug bite. I did some searching and read about allergic reactions to dextrin. I tried orange smooth metamucil and almost 6 hours later the hives came back. Its itchy and painful on my arms and waistline. Both are different active ingredients though.
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
psyllium allergy?
I had been taking fiber pills containing psyllium for a couple of months. I'm a 59-year-od male. My face and hands started to have what I can describe as hot flashes. My face would be bright red. And then other times my extremities would go very cold. This wasn't just my perception. My housemate would feel my hands and know that they were exceptionally hot or cold to the touch. This past Saturday I was red-faced and hot, started having labored breathing, and my pulse was throbbing. I felt exhausted. Has anyone experienced these symptoms in conjunction with taking psyllium?
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
psyllium allergy?
I had been taking fiber pills containing psyllium for a couple of months. I'm a 59-year-od male. My face and hands started to have what I can describe as hot flashes. My face would be bright red. And then other times my extremities would go very cold. This wasn't just my perception. My housemate would feel my hands and know that they were exceptionally hot or cold to the touch. This past Saturday I was red-faced and hot, started having labored breathing, and my pulse was throbbing. I felt exhausted. Has anyone experienced these symptoms in conjunction with taking psyllium?
|

replied July 30th, 2013
Anaphylaxic Reaction
I have an anaphylaxic reaction to Psyllium even when it's in the same room. I was at work and some people brought in some corn husk tamales and within about 20 minutes I blacked out. The paramedics took me outside the building and I was fine in about 30 minutes.
|
12 >>