Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Allergic to Pork? (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Are you allergic to Pork?
Yes - Extremely (Anaphalactic shock or death)
Yes - Mildly (Pain / Discomfort)
No - Don't eat pork
No - I eat it for breakfast!
20%  20%  [ 5 ]
52%  52%  [ 13 ]
4%  4%  [ 1 ]
24%  24%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 25
User Profile
Pork allergy?

I've noticed that whenever I eat pork, my body goes through a very predictable and quite unpleasant (but not life threatening) reaction:

- Within 5 or so minutes, my body becomes extremely warm.
- Within 15 minutes my skin starts itching and my stomach becomes incredibly bloated.
- Within 30 minutes to an hour my blood pressure starts dropping, and I start to feel extremely drowsy (approximately as one would feel after 2 liters of beer). I am unable to perform any mental tasks, feel extremely thirsty, and usually need to lay down for at least an hour to return back to normal.

After that, the itching and bloating continue to the point where unless I consume alot of water, go to the bathroom, drink some coffee, take a walk or nap, I become completely incapacitated to think, talk, or walk.

I have read that many meat allergies are actually triggered by food additives such as meat tenderizers, msg, etc. I know that in the are where we live, all food is drenched in MSG and most meat is cooked on propane ovens. Sometimes I can even taste the propane in the food. I wonder if this contributes to the reaction. (I get a similar reaction to red meat cooked locally, just not to the same degree ).

I have heard mixed reviews of the blood type diet, but one of the things it mentions is that pork is not recommended for any blood type. In addition to this, it claims that all blood types are actually allergic to pork.

From what I understand, any allergic reactions are basically immunological over-reaction to some substance. Is this correct?

Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of pork allergies? I'm also curious whether there has been any correlation between semitic races and pork allergies?

Has anybody else experienced something similar?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Penny640
|
Users who thank danielv for this post: xhuerax 

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2009
Experienced User
i only have problems with meat when i am stuffed Smile
i just love meat.

my blood type is O, and from what I've heard, its the blood type that can handle meat.

"Within 5 or so minutes, my body becomes extremely warm. "
is it physically possible in that short time to get any reactions from food that requires much more time to digest?
|

replied January 29th, 2009
Allergic to pork
I don't know if I'm allergic, but I have noticed that i will get this horrible pain in my side to where I can't stand up.

The funny part is, i remember eating pork a lot growing up. Pickled pig feet; pork chops, etc.

But now that I live on my own and eat other ppl's cooking or my own pork foods ... I can't process.

My mom seems to think it's because the meat is either bad in the first place or isn't cleaned and cooked properly. I live further south then my family too. and the source of pork may be different than my folks.

I think she might be right, 'cause when she cooks it for me even now, I don't get sick.
|

replied March 25th, 2009
Allergic reactions
Actually my brother has the same allergic reactions that danielV mentions. He also starts sweating and becomes pretty pale besides having the stomach pains and not being able to walk.
|

replied August 6th, 2009
Allergic to pork
After eating at two different Vietnamese restaurants in the past eight days, I have woken during the night with an intense cramp on the right mid-section of my stomach. It is difficult to straighten and walk and I'm quite nauseous. It hit me this morning that the common denominator is pork, a meat I never, ever, eat, but had on these occasions in shared dishes. After reading these posts, I'm convinced it's the culprit.
|

replied September 19th, 2009
Pork Allergies
Can someone who is allergic to pork eat chicken or turkey sasauge and still be ok? I ask because to my knowledge, chicken and pork sasauge still has hints of pork in them
|
Users who thank Clean31 for this post: howard1938 

replied February 6th, 2012
I am allergic to pork and it is really funny because turkey or chicken sausage packages don't say that they contain pork however, if you look into it a little further you will find out that they are in pork casings. Hope this helps you, I had to find out the hard way!
|

replied November 4th, 2012
Supposedly I am allergic to pork. I know this since I was little. I would get fever; probably hives as well, though I say probably because I've been a vegetarian for the past nine years and prior to that I don't remember eating pork much. I did some research and it says that it is probably the MSG or other chemicals added, not the meat itself. Strangely, I also had allergic reactions to vaccine shots, and I discovered that they also contain pork gelatin. Strangely, I am NOT allergic to Jell-O, candies or marshmallows, or ice cream, which apparently also contain a small amount of. If advil or any ibuprofen meds are coated with pork gelatin, this explains my last allergen.
|

replied November 14th, 2012
I'm allergic to pork (mild allergy thank goodness, although still unpleasant). I ALWAYS wondered why I still got sick even when I ate turkey sausage. thanks for sharing......
|

replied October 16th, 2009
Pork Allergies
ive noticed when i eat pork it affects my stomach the most. i get these really bad cramps, as if someone is punching me from the inside. it all started about a year ago, made some pork chops for dinner. that night while i was sleeping, i woke up in pain. a couple nights later had pork fried rice with sweet and sour chicken, 20 mins later in pain again. i grew up eating pork, it never had this effect on me. has anyone ever had this happen after eating pepperoni??
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2011
allergic to pork
yes yes and yes to all of the above I ate pork at my daughters house one night...threw up and passed out. I had grown up eating it but then as I got older it would give me night time indigestion sitting up burping in bed etc...it has gotten progressively worse over the years I won't be eating any form of pork ever again. I also won't go into the Biblical reason for not eating it but if you want to study it out yourself its very interesting.
|

replied October 19th, 2009
heart stops from pork
The turkey, chicken, or beef susage or bacon does not have pork in it. ALWAYS READ THE LABEL.
My husband has a very unual allergy to Pork. His heart stops. has anyone else heard of anything like this? From his early 20s he would say it feel like his veins swelled when he eat pork. then went he was in his mid-thirtys he ate one tablespoon of homecooked B-B-Que. His heart stopped 7 things within 12 hours of eating it. Dr didn't think it could be the pork. While in ICU he eat a pork chop & his heart got down to 3 beats. he has ha a pacemaker since then. Dr said he still didn't know, but don't eat pork.
|

replied March 4th, 2014
How can you say that bacon doesn't have pork in it? Bacon is pork!
|

replied October 19th, 2009
The turkey, chicken, or beef susage or bacon does not have pork in it. ALWAYS READ THE LABEL.
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
I had funny reactions for the past 4 months when i ate pork. I grew up eating pork and only started reacting 4 months ago. It seems everytime i eat it my skin (on the back of my neck up to my ears) starts itching. I recently had hot dogs when i was drunk, i forgot they had pork in them, and now i got the same reaction only this time some of the skin is peeling off and its painful. has anyone experienced this before?
|

replied November 16th, 2009
Pork but not other pig meat
Is it possible to be intolerant/allergic to pork but not other pig meats? I can eat sausages and bacon with no problem but the last few times I've eaten pork, within 15 minutes I've felt faint, bloated and nauseous. If any one could shed any light I'd be grateful!
|

replied August 11th, 2013
that's like me. when i eat pork i get really sick(end up throwing up) but i'm fine with bacon and sausages. glad to know i'm not the only one haha. i find it really odd though.
|

replied November 19th, 2009
No - I eat it for breakfast!
literally Smile
|

replied December 26th, 2009
Pork Allergy
I have a very unusual reaction to pork. It started about 5 years ago. I develope dark red, ichy patches on the backs of my legs. These patches take months to clear up. Every so often I'll consume either some bacon or a pork sausage to see whether the reaction still happens. Have just finished another 'testing' and the reaction is the same. Has anyone else experienced a reaction like this???
|

replied December 27th, 2009
pork alleries
I haven't been able to eat pork my whole life. It feels like the flu without the fever or throwing up just real akey in my whole body and now I have arthurits in my neck I get dizzy spells. I find takeing anti-inflamitorys like Motrin helps. To naughtie_auty pig and pork same thing.
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
I have had a pain in my lower intestine after eating Italian sausage, any breakfast sausage, sausage on pizza, even some microwave meat--salsbury steak that, after having the pain, found out that it contains pork. Is there any pork additive found in these meats alone? I have no problem with bacon, pork roast, pork chops- lean ground pork- ham. What's up with that?
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
My husband has the same type of reaction. He is able to eat some pork products and not others. His allergist thinks it is due to the way the meat is processed. Anytime he has any type of pork product or even something that might have hidden pork he takes 150mg of Zantac about 30 mins before eating. Taking it after exposure helps a little, but does not stop the symptoms. It has solved the problem of the "worst stomach flu ever" type symptoms that he gets. He is finding that apples and bananas also affect him. The allergist says that they have similar enzymes or something in them as the pork, and that it is common to be sensitive to them all.
|

replied February 15th, 2010
rheumatic pain from pork consumption
I get severe rheumatic pain in all joints, especially hands, fingers, knees; have been violently sick on occasion. Avoiding pork of any kind - watch out for things that contain gelatine (gummy sweets, marshmallows, some processed cheeses, various thickened bottled sauces, e.g lemon sauce, etc...!). As for non-pork sausages, check the labels as they are often filled into pork casings, would you believe! If in doubt, eat vegetarian in restaurants! Ask about fresh gravy in restaurants too, as they often mix all meat juices into one! Then double-check about roast veg because of lard...
|

replied February 19th, 2010
pork allergy
baghera very good points. And yes they do use pork casing which has almost killed me. Since i was pregnant my reactions became life threatning. All my life i was diagnosed as "irritable bowl" Put thru the ringer since childhood for every digestive diesase known. But never till i was pregnant and my throat closed did they do allergy testing and find a pork allergy. I have to be EXTREMELY careful in resteraunts getting food with sauces, gravy etc. And last night I made meatloaf with regular hamburg from our local supermarket. Well guess what. They ground pork in the same machine prior to that and didnt clean it. (I called) the manager said "its no big deal" I told him it is if people have life threatning food allergies! So my hamburg had just small amounts of pork enough to make last night very scary and get me on the web this morning. ASK YOUR BUTCHER if they clean in between or if they use seperate machines for beef and pork!!!!
|

replied March 30th, 2010
After eating pork chops or sliced ham I will feel very weak and hungry. I feel like I need to eat something dense right away. I have only noticed it with pork chops and ham. I am fine with bacon, sausage, and anything else.

I read elsewhere that it may be additives in the meat or something fed to the pigs that can cause an allergic reaction.
|

replied May 18th, 2010
I've had pork allergy for over 7 years now. (and yes, I grew up eating pork too, but didn't eat pork for about 15 years and then started having the allergic reaction to it).

My stomach cannot digest it at all. If I accidentally eat pork meat (the chunks of meat), I usually vomit it out within 30min - 1 hours no matter how much I try holding it down. Even if I ate a whole bunch of other food after eating the pork, only the pork meat comes out without anything else. It's disgusting, but really weird as well.

If I eat pork soup, then the problem becomes a lot worse. I have severe stomach cramps, sometimes I faint because the pain becomes so bad. After that, I would have flu like symptoms (lethargic, fever, etc.) for a few days.

I cannot eat any pork or anything that's cooked or prepared together in the same kitchen. I find the Chinese restaurants are the worst as they use pork fat instead of cooking oil. Even the 'seafood soup' is made with pork bone cooked broth.
|

replied August 24th, 2010
pork allergy
After eating ham or pork chops I get a very strange almost tingling sensation right in the back of my head - but kind of in the neck area right behind the ears. It's happened since I was a kid. I used to get indigestion from it, to the point where it would cause problems with even a little canadian bacon on pizza or something, but now it's just the weird feeling. It goes away in about 15-20 minutes, but it's not pleasant for the time it's there. But no problem with bacon. Weird.
|