Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

alcohol, my 21st birthday?

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
my 21st birthday is coming up in january, i developed epilepsy in my junior year of high school.
i havent had a seizure in a very long time, 2 years.
my medicine has done a very good job. giggle
i think my seizures are related to stress.
anyways, is it okay for me to drink on my 21st birthday?
or how much?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MissLiss88
|

replied December 7th, 2011
Hi just check with your Doctor that you can have a drink with the (meds) you are on, best to play it safe Take care .......Bob
|

replied December 11th, 2011
I've had JME since I was 14. I drank with my meds one night when I was 16 and I kept blacking out, like dropping as i walk into unconciousness and basicly passing out, my bf took care of me and thankfully nothing major came of it. I never drank with Valproic Acid again. I drank before and after that, but made sure to take my Valproate at least 2hrs from the drinking session, and I would be fine...well as fine as you can be when drinking. I'm now 23 and on Keppra. I've been taking it for 3+ months now. I drank the other night and felt fine (2 5% drinks) then became violently ill the next morning, throwing up every 10 minutes, maybe it was the stomach flu, maybe a bad mix of drugs. Either way I can definitely say that Keppra does have some form of negative affect when mixed with alcohol, valproate i was okay, as long as i didn't wash down my pills with vodka lol. Hope this is of some help.

Drink safe and best of luck
|

replied January 10th, 2012
thank you ^_^
|

replied February 9th, 2012
for the drinking questions
8 days after my 13th birthday i had a seziure outta no where and got diganosed with JME. yea what a great birthday present. I didnt drink for my first time untill i was 17. I was on Lamticial at the time and the next morning i woke up i had a seziure. Now i am 23 and can drink to certin limit. Only you know your body,meds, and that limit of drinks you can have. Just becareful ive had bad things come out of a seziure.I would never want this to happen to anyone else.
..................... brittany lowe
|

replied February 9th, 2012
for the drinking questions
8 days after my 13th birthday i had a seziure outta no where and got diganosed with JME. yea what a great birthday present. I didnt drink for my first time untill i was 17. I was on Lamticial at the time and the next morning i woke up i had a seziure. Now i am 23 and can drink to certin limit. Only you know your body,meds, and that limit of drinks you can have. Just becareful ive had bad things come out of a seziure.I would never want this to happen to anyone else.
..................... brittany lowe
|