I have been having a strange problem for the past 6 months and I was wondering if anyone here could offer any advice on the possibility of a cure or remedy. I'm a 21 year old male who recently took up habitual drinking this March of 08. I turned 21 last Dec and had drank on holidays but not more than a couple beers. I experimented with whiskey/rum in early 08 and I have a very high tolerance (I never throw up from it).
I started drinking about 1-2 bottles a wine a night starting in March then I graduated to buying big 5 liter boxed wines and finishing them off in a few days, very very cheap boxed wine for about $6-7 a 5 liter box. I had some stress so I began drinking Brandy around May/June. On June 5th I drank half a bottle of brandy, the next morning 5 shots, then that night I decided to experiment with Gin (I had never had gin before). After about a few glasses I was feeling fine but then after a little more I began to get short of breathesque, not short of breath per se, just the desire to sigh and take a deep breath over and over. It bothered me so I stopped drinking and went to bed.
The next day I wokeup and still had the breathing thing as well as a tickle in my throat as if I had ran for a very long distance. It is now late December of 08 and I still have this. I stopped all hard liquor and have drank a few times but not for weeks on end like I used to.
I've been to doctors and incurred over $2,000 in debt in medical bills (those are just co-pays) from having barium swallows, endoscopies, lung tests, allergy tests, blood tests, etc. All negative except for the endoscopy finding a small 3-4 cm sliding hiatal hernia which they say is too small to cause any problem as they also found no signs of irritation down there in the esophagus.
I've had a coated tongue, coughing, burping, feeling full all the time, and that constant tickle along with some heat occasionally (NOT heartburn). They tried me on some antacids/PPI's thinking it was simple heartburn but that did nothing but make me feel worse. I've done acupuncture, homeopathy, stress reducing techniques and have even stopped eating fast food, it's not going away.
I read up online about these people with "reflux disease" and how they've had it for 20-30+ years, it freaks me out and makes me think that going on isn't worth it if I have to have these symptoms or "manage a condition" forever, but then I realized that the whole "disease" thing was part of the pharmaceutical companies way of getting people to take their pills for life. I'm pretty sure I don't have a "life-long disease" or reflux, as a top stomach surgeon who runs a hospital told me face to face that it wasn't (free consultation through family).
Nevertheless, I'd like to know what you guys think this is. I don't have flare ups or bouts, it's pretty much constant, all day and night. I know it was brought on by drinking, but I am willing to do anything to get back to my former self. The euphoria of the absence of these symptoms would be far more gratifying than any type of drunken state that alcohol could give me. I am looking forward to your advice. Thank you.
I read your article and completely understand all of your problems. First of all, I want you to know that while the alcohol didn't help, it's not the be all end all cause of it. Have any of your physicians discussed the possibility that you have an anxiety disorder? I know this would seem strange, but these are a lot of the symptoms of someone who has anxiety and seeing as alcohol is a depressant and can cause anxiety and depression, I wouldn't say it's out in left field. As for your stomach.....I am now 27 years old and still have problems, but not as bad. I have a hiatus hernia and what that does is make you burp a lot when your stomach is empty and it's like a burp hiccup. It's usually quite violent too and you said there that you have one of those.Gerd is also high on my list, where I puke in my mouth from burping. But the breathing thing is in ALL seriousness anxiety. I used to have the same thing and still do to a certain extent. The feeling like you can't get the air in enough. I had multiple treadmill tests and heart tests and breathing tests and they told me that Iw as in perfect health. Anxiety is a very frustrating disorder with a lot of answers if you see someone, but a lot of work. I would suggest going to see a psychologist to discuss a lot of this stuff. Trust me, it helped me with a lot of the issues I was experiencing. Good luck.
Young Man with the serious health challenge from drinking alcohol. I would suggest that you read up on chronic candida. This form of yeast can become terribly out of balance in one's gut when they overdue on alcohol as alcohol when digested converts to sugar and feeds the yeast in one's gut until they literally start over taking the good bacteria in our digestive tract. When this occurs this will cause every symptom this young man has discussed in his email. Please google "candida" and you will be overwhelmed with what you will learn. It will take lots of discipline on his part to get his body back in balance but it can be done with strick anti candida diets and supplementation including probiotics. Good luck.
I've had similar issues. I also enjoy drinking and feel like it's finaly catching up with me. When I eat sometimes food feels like it gets stuck in my esaphagus which then causes acid and makes me throw up. The doctor told me it was a permanent condition and I would have to take Nexium. I read up on Candida and thought a Candida cleanse was worth a try. It worked! Try a Candida cleanse it will probably help.
I know this is a very old thread, but I had to respond since it sounds exactly like what I'm going through. I went through a period of very heavy drinking. Finally, I drank a large amount of wine on an empty stomach and ended up feeling like I'd been stabbed in the belly. Ever since then I've had no appetite, burp a lot and get nauseous a couple hours after I eat. Have had many of the same tests, but no one can find the problem. And have been through all the same issues. Talked to doctors about surgery who told me explicitly I don't have any such problem, I even remember the exact day and time when the issue started. Did your issue ever resolve? How long did it take?
OP and chcgomatt - I agree with the poster who mentioned Candida (especially with OP's coated tongue, which is evidence of yeast overgrowth in the mouth). Thanks to damage from Celiac disease, I developed an invasive and chronic Candida overgrowth/infection earlier this year. I didn't know what was wrong with me for a long time, but after a couple months of treatment from an osteopath and about $500, I'm worlds better! Chcgomatt, the point at which I decided to seek medical attention was actually when I went wine tasting, not realizing that the yeast, sugar, and alcohol in wine would greatly exacerbate my condition. I became extremely nauseated for two days after getting mildly drunk on wine, and after that I didn't have a single "good day" - constant bloating, and undigested stool. Thanks to a wonderful doctor whose wife had suffered a debilitating bout of Candida overgrowth, a powerful oral antifungal, and two months of a sugar/yeast/fermented food-free diet (I ate only veggies, antibiotic free meats, and bits of rice), my quality of life has drastically improved. It's worth looking up.
You should also both consider a peptic ulcer, though - the burping, feeling full, and having no appetite could indicate an ulcer.