Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Albumin / globulin ratio

Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
User Profile
Recently had a blood test done. While all seemed fine I saw that the albumin/globulin ratio was 0.88 (I think ref. range was 1.5-2). Individually albumin was 3.6g/dl and globulin was 4.1. Is this really bad and something to worry about and should I show this to a doctor or maybe get another blood test and what is the problem if there is one? I have no health issues (touchwood) currently. All the other serum tests for bilirubin (0.4), creatimine (0.9), SGPT (17) etc all seem very fine.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2010
Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Answer A12799
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the decreased albumin/globulin ratio to 0.88.
The decrease or reversal of the albumin/globulin ratio is commonly encountered in Africans in different parts of the continent of Africa. This decrease or reversal is ascribed in large measure to malnutrition and/or infection. Whatever the cause, the mechanism for this reversal still remains obscure.
There are host of infections in which globulin levels become elevated leading to the disturbance of albumin/globulin ratio. The most common infections include ehrlichiosis, leishmaniasis and other parasitic infections, chronic fungal infections. Sometimes hyperglobulinemia can be due to rise in acute phase reactants and is usually transient. Other conditions causing liver disease can also present with decreased or reversed albumin/globulin ratio.
You must consult your physician for definitive diagnosis as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.