Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Air pocket in poop ?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I had an air pocket or air balloon or something like that in my poop. The smell was awful. What was that? Should i be concerned? The day prior I also had an "accident" in my pants. I have always had constipation problems and sometimes IBS.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A14708
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.com

Gassy bowel movements can happen in many conditions like gastrointestinal infections, parasitic infestations, various other intestinal conditions like IBS, celiac disease etc.

Naturally, your condition requires examination by a physician who may want to refer you to gastroenterologist if required. Stool examination for routine tests and also fatty acids, pancreatic enzymes will help in identifying the cause. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.