Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Air in the digestive tract

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I have a strange condition that causes me to suffer from excess gas that pops and moves loudly in my stomach and anus. It is completely uncontrollable. I have tried everything to address this issue (like reducing my intake of gas producing foods/drinks, taking peppermint pills, probiotic supplements and digentive enzymes, and most recently cutting out gluten from my diet), but so far nothing has worked. I was initially diagnosed with IBS (18 years ago), though I have always felt that this diagnosis was an attempt to give a name (any name) to what I have. Some doctors have told me that my disorder is caused by stress. However, I suffer badly even when I am not in stressful situations, like when I am calmly watching my favorite TV shows in the comfort of my home. Any advice on what more I should do or what is causing this problem????? I have been suffering for 18 years (since I was 12 years old). I don't know what more to do.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2010
Intestinal Disorders Answer A10279
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know what causes the symptoms that you experience.

The bowels are hollow and are either filled with digested food or gas. The gas may be collected in a part of the stomach or thick intestine causing air pockets, which may either be released from the stomach by burping or through the anus. When the air collection is more than usual, the intestine wall is distended, which causes the intestine muscles to contract and move the content of air or food further in the intestine. This process may be sometimes sudden and loud, which is considered to be normal. The air collection may be due to swallowing of air during speaking, eating or drinking. Air may also be produced in the bowels as a result of digestion of the food, such as cabbage, cauliflower, beans, etc.

According to the data that you described, you may or may not be experiencing any medical condition. See a gastroenterologist for further advice and diagnosis. Avoid swallowing air during eating, speaking or drinking. You may also consider avoiding the type of food listed above.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a gastroenterologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Intestinal Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.