Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Air conditioning causing breathlessness symptoms ?

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
Hi All,

I work in an air-conditioned office and find that my chest feels constricted causing breathlessness and my throat is dry and swollen. I've had the symptoms for months now.

Could this be the drying effect of the AC or could I be reacting to allergens in the system? Would using a humidifier in the office alleviate the symptoms? Cab I ask my employer to check the system?

Any advice or similar welcome.

Thank you Wink
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you experiencing headaches, tiredness, dry eyes, blocked nose, too?
Have you noticed wheezing and chest tightness?
Do the breathing difficulties improve on days away from the workplace?
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
AC
Yes AC can create these type of porblems
|

replied August 31st, 2009
Yes I leave my AC on all night and I wake up with a sore throut runny nose and sneezing as well as it triggers my asthma wheezing coughing tightness of chest ect..but the temp is toohigh right now and that triggers it too so no way out for me.
|

replied December 1st, 2009
I read (on Webmd) that cooling and dry air both can cause asthma problems.
|

replied January 31st, 2010
Is the HVAC producing heat or cold air? If cold, the problem is probably allergies - mold or dust in the air conditioner. If heat, the problem could be allergies, or that the relative humidity is too low.
|

replied February 27th, 2010
Asthma and new AC system
I put in a new air conditioning system a week ago and have had repeated asthma attacks since then except for when we shut it down and opened all the doors and windows for several hours to air out the house. Could something about the new AC be causing the problem? We had no trouble with the old system it replaced. Jack
|

replied September 8th, 2010
Dry smelling air with new air conditioner
The dog and I are having the exact same problem as Kindle321, The dog coughs all night and is now on medication he probably wouldn't have needed if it wasn't for the new system, and I can't find an answer. No one knows what I'm talking about, as we are the only ones that are "smelling" this. It's almost like the smell of microwave popcorn just before it starts to burn. We had the ducts cleaned, took the 'guts' out of the electronic air purifier because I thought the ozone was excessive, but that didn't help the problem. Did you ever get an answer?
|

replied September 13th, 2010
Cold never used to bother me (I've had asthma all my life), but it does now. It's definitely a trigger for some people.
|

replied July 21st, 2011
Me Too
Me too... ALL of the same symptoms you've all got here.

I recently moved to Arkansas from Santa Barbara California. When one lives in coastal climate, air conditioners are not necessary. I have lived in places with central air and been sick, but never window units. Well, this is my first time in a place with window units, and I've had all sort of eye, nose, throat problems - and my ears too; especially when in the direction of the air flow.

All symptoms disappear when I leave the house. Sometimes within as little as minute, like if I go for walk around the block, it will alleviate symptoms for a few hours.

Glad to know there are others.
|

replied April 20th, 2013
asthma in my son
hi everyone,i too am worried about my son who is now 4 years old and having wheezing since he was 1 year old.i live in dubai and my child is sick most of the days.he wakes with a phlegm filled chest when slept in an ac room.what to do as we cant live without ac here.what is your opinion about taking singulair medicines?
|
Quick Reply