Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

agonizing tooth pain but nothing on xray

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
User Profile
I'm getting increasingly bad tooth pain, on my lower front tooth. It started out just bad when I had hot or cold, then air, and now it is really bad all the time, I'm getting waves of deep throbbing pain. I've been to the dentist three times, and had two xrays that showed no sign of any decay, or abscess or anything. It hurts when the dentists blow the air at it, but not when he taps it. And it's sore at the gumline around the tooth too. But it's getting worse, and the painkillers just aren't working. It feels like the same pain I had in another tooth before they had to remove it! What wouldn't show up on xrays and yet cause this much pain? Please help, it really, really hurts.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2011
Experienced User
it can also be low tooth enamel it's a lot more common than people think you may want to ask the dentist to check the enamel. usually the enamel will protect from the hot or cold things such as drinks, food, or air, without this enamel it will cause a lot of pain.
|

replied August 18th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
could it be an infection they hurt loads
|

replied September 26th, 2011
Possible cracked tooth?
I had the same problem but on one of my molars. It turned out to be a hairline fracture on my tooth below the gum line. The only reason it was finally discovered was because the crack grew and was now causing my tooth to move. I got the fracture because of grinding my teeth.
|

replied October 1st, 2011
You can ask your Dentist to do a pulp test. This is a way to tell if the nerve of the tooth is alive or not. It is rare but you can have a devitalized tooth and not have signs on an x ray. Also make sure you are using a sensitive teeth toothpaste and a fluoride rinse just to make sure if there is recession that the pores of the tooth are protected. Teeth are sometimes weird. But the pain you are having is too severe to keep enduring. Go back to the dentist and tell him the pain is a 10 and ask for a pulp test. I am sorry to break the news to you, but the next step is a root canal. Once you have opened the tooth (ie started the root canal) you should feel relief! Good luck Smile
|

replied October 6th, 2011
wrap a cloth on a hot boiled egg and roll it on the pain. Let me know the result please.
|