Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Aggitated while watching tv

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I got given the all clear from my doctor, and been told its anxiety. Had a chest xray, blood tests, ekg and physical examination.

The problem is, when ever I'm watching tv I feel very uneasy, fidgety and well aggitated. I end up feeling light headed and dizzy and well just basically really disorientated.

When I had my very first panic/anxiety attack it happened whilst watching tv, I might just be worrying because its how it all first started... but cant seem to sit down and relax anymore when the family watch tv in the living room.

The lights and noises seem to irritate me as well - strange I know, but its starting to really annoy me now.

Anyone else get this feeling? and any ideas how to try to get rid of this. I'm trying my best to relax, but end up thinking too much and bang.. feel ill.

Starting to think stupid stuff like what if its a brain tumour or something, as I constantly feel wierd in the head - had a chest problem before this and when I got my xray results back it all seemed to calm down and now its my head and this horrible feeling thats taking over.

Urgh just want to feel normal again ><
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile 99emmmar
|

replied March 1st, 2010
hiya, i feel like i cant concentrate alot of the time e.g.watching tele and readings books its just like i have trouble focusing for certain periods of time and i was never like that before i had anxiety,i also feel unwell most of the majority of time i get the dizziness alot aswell even when im nit anxious its a horrible thing!!!do you get any other symptoms??
|

replied March 1st, 2010
It sounds like Tv is a stress trigger of yours. I get the same way both from reading something exciting, watching tv. I have tension headaches which cause a lot of strain on my eyes. This strain actually led to me getting reading glasses just a couple of days ago. Somehow my panic attacks caused my eye muscles to become weaker causing them to cross a bit. Ive also had trouble focusing and find that if I get good sleep it is much easier. Id recommend drinking alot of water, seeing an eye doctor if your really worried or things get worse. Also excercise, its good to get the tension out. I dont like loud noises or lights either and I think its because we are so hypersensitive right now that they make things worse...try closing your eyse, breathing deep and rubbing your eyes too
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2010
anxiousk8 wrote:
hiya, i feel like i cant concentrate alot of the time e.g.watching tele and readings books its just like i have trouble focusing for certain periods of time and i was never like that before i had anxiety,i also feel unwell most of the majority of time i get the dizziness alot aswell even when im nit anxious its a horrible thing!!!do you get any other symptoms??

Sounds just like me - keeep thinking theres more to all this than just anxiety - I get anxiety makes you feel like that though.

Yeah I do get other symptoms and they are;

Irritablity
Feel smothered
Chest pains - near heart (had tests tho and apparently all ok)
Feel like I have eye strain sometimes
Dizzyness/quezy
Get emotional when symptoms are really bad
Sounds and lights really bother me
Get tention headaches now and again
Palpitations
Racing heart
Generally feeling ill

Doctors have really helped me with not worrying as much, but I just cant understand why I cant take more control and get on with things - buses seem to be a problem for me atm also; especially when I'm on my own.

I miss sitting downstairs with my boyfriend and watching all the programmes we used to; now I'm lucky to be watching tv for like 20 mins.

Yeah hypersensitivy sucks - I had my eyes tested when everything started happening and they said my eyes are perfect tho. I do spend a lot of time on the computer maybe thats making me feel a bit off too.

I'll try that thank you x x
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
I have had those symptoms and more and still have alot of them to this day! Its anxiety. I promise. Its a physical manifestation of something emotional you may or may not know about. I remember too wanting to watch tv and movies with my bf and not being able to because of the lights and sounds and the plots! I would go lay down and feel horrible and hed come in to see how I was and Id start tearing up crying about how I hated how I felt. It was miserable. It still is at points, especially now because Im pms-ing! Think of it as your body is so worked up that it hasnt been able to turn off all the adrenal glands and chill out. The more you think about how you feel the more your glands keep pumping and the more you feel wretched. My therapist told me to see it as a cold. When you have the flu or sinuses or something you know what symptoms to expect, you know its going to suck and you know it will eventually pass and youll feel much better. Try to look at this the same way. Know that some things will make your anxiety cold worse but you know what symptoms you will get from it and you know the worst will come to pass. Look at it as neutrally as you can like its just some obnoxious sore throat or headache.

I refuse to take medicines for anxiety. I do NOT want to get hooked on something thats going to make my life worse when I want to get off of it. Ive worked really hard to try new things that could help me with anxiety. Theres no cure, theres just surviving and coping. check out panicsurvivors.org or .com cant remember which. Ive gotten my self a therapist whose had experience with trauma and anxiety, She really gets me and I feel very comfortable with her. We do visualization and breathing exercises and shes even tried out this thing called EMDR with Bi lateral stimulation. CHeck that out it helped me alot. Also Ive tried to be around someone or something that really makes me laugh. Like my boyfriend or girlfriends. Its so important to laugh even though your feel shitty and weird. Try working out. Accupuncture has blown my mind with how effective it has been. And if you really need to take something to feel better take a good b-complex or for instant results try Niacinamide, a b-3 vitamin. They are both vitamins and totally natural with no withdrawl symptoms or scary side effects .

its a roller coaster but you can do it! Keep reminding yourself nothings wrong with you and just set your self apart from it for a moment. Its going to happen so you can choose how your going to handle it. Get out there and get yourself happy! youve got it in you!
|
Users who thank amsteckler1 for this post: 99emmmar 

replied March 11th, 2010
Anxiety Attack?
Lately i've been feeling the same. Last night I tossed and turned in bed because I didn't feel relax, right now as I'm sitting down typing I feel uneasy and fridgety and it's getting really annoying. Last night I couldn't breathe properly and I saw a doctor about it, they said it was also anxiety. But it's really annoying, does anybody know how to make me relax? This just recently happened. Oh and, I've had anxiety for a little while now.
|

replied August 14th, 2010
Panic attack?
I'm 42 years old, physically fit (i go to the gym 4 days a week), i'm financially successful and have 2 beautiful kids and a beautiful wife. Bottom line is life's great!
A couple of years ago i had the worst feeling of my life, cold sweat, heart racing, blood rush to the head, tingling feeling in my torso and arms and light headedness, i thought i was about to pass out or have a heart attack and die, so i moved away from those around me and went to the kitchen where i could be on my own and after 15 mins maybe not even that long the feeling went away. It scared me that much i went to the hospital to find out what happened. When i told the doctor she told me quite clearly that there's nothing physically wrong with me and that i had had a panic attack. I laughed and said are you joking, i don't panic, i'm not scared of anything i could think of and i should'nt have any anxiety cos life is great. Now, over the last couple of years these attacks happen frequently. Ive only just started to recognize the trigger. Out of all the attacks i've had only two i can think of have occured outside of my house. Once in the gym and once in the office. All of the others have happened at night when the lights are low and when i'm sitting or laying on the sofa watching a movie on my big tv. Now when i feel like that again i quickly put the lights on and unbelievably i start to feel better and the attack dies down. I even try to control it by telling my self aloud my name and i tell myself this is not bad its just an attack and will pass soon and it seems to work. Can anyone here tell if they think that watching a movie on a big screen with the lights out could cause this kind of panic attack and is this some kind of common condition that people suffer from. I can tell you its the worst feeling in the world but seemingly there's nothing you can do about it, apart from i suppose not watching the tv, lol.
|

replied October 3rd, 2010
yeah i get this is all the time its driving me nutsssssssssss, its like my mind wont let me relax,i feel relaxed but get physical aggitation if you no what i mean
|

replied October 3rd, 2010
feels like you got high blood pressure
|

replied October 22nd, 2010
I'm the same way
Tradertom, yeah I get like that, too when I watch tv. Especially when it's a weird or frightening movie. It's gotten so bad that watching the news makes me feel like in a state of shock and I panic. But I know for sure that watching on a big screen tv would make it worse as everything seems more real. You can try watching on a smaller tv that's not in HD or listening to music. There probably nothing wrong with you. I believe that when we pass the age of 40 our bodies change physically and mentally. Tell yourself that there's nothing physically & mentally wrong with yourself and make yourself believe it. Do not dwell on things for too long. As this might make your thinking worse. Think positively. If you have trouble sleeping do more exercise, spread over the day, listen to calming music and drink something warm like milk before you hit the hay. I'm still fighting my own battles, but it gets better everyday, but there are times when I do have bad days I just try to think positively. Another thing, if you wear glasses all the time and those glasses fit too tight, it might make you feel dizzy, have headaches and feel anxious as the legs of the glasses might be squeezing the circulation to your head.
|

replied October 22nd, 2010
I'm the same way
Tradertom, yeah I get like that, too when I watch tv. Especially when it's a weird or frightening movie. It's gotten so bad that watching the news makes me feel like in a state of shock and I panic. But I know for sure that watching on a big screen tv would make it worse as everything seems more real. You can try watching on a smaller tv that's not in HD or listening to music. There probably nothing wrong with you. I believe that when we pass the age of 40 our bodies change physically and mentally. Tell yourself that there's nothing physically & mentally wrong with yourself and make yourself believe it. Do not dwell on things for too long. As this might make your thinking worse. Think positively. If you have trouble sleeping do more exercise, spread over the day, listen to calming music and drink something warm like milk before you hit the hay. I'm still fighting my own battles, but it gets better everyday, but there are times when I do have bad days I just try to think positively. Another thing, if you wear glasses all the time and those glasses fit too tight, it might make you feel dizzy, have headaches and feel anxious as the legs of the glasses might be squeezing the circulation to your head.
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
Anxiety and your HDTV
Just wondering what type of Tv you have is it a HDTV?
Look up HDTV and mind control in google.
This may be explaining your anxiety and felling like drained after watching TV.
|
This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!