Medical Questions > Mental Health > PTSD Forum

Agent Orange jerking

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
My husband has PTSD from Viet Nam. Nightmares, crying in sleep, also had sleep apnea, Surgery not completely successful on SA, then put on CPAP machine to which he cannot use. Cannot stand anything over his face etc. He has jerking which has been diagnosed as Restless Limb, but appears not to be that al together. Ther jerking is terrible and seems to be like a nerve problem instead of a nervous problem. They gave him medication which has helped the restless leg, but not the jerking. Lately he has been really whining and crying in his sleep and it is continuous--liike he is dreaming continuously and the dreams do not last for seconds, but hours on end. Took films of this jerking to a private doctor who said he needed a neurologist and brain test. Could this jerking be Agent Orange related?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile BDominguez
|

replied July 21st, 2008
Jerking Limbs and Agent Orange Exposure
I have similar problems as your husband. For years, I have had very strong, jerking and kicking of my limbs. It's not really RLS, more like uncontrolled spasmodic episodes which I am not aware of unless awakend by my spouse. I also have severe night sweats. I served in Vietnam with the Marine Corps as a Hospital Corpsman 67-68 and while I never remember actually handling agent orange, I know that the entire hill I was on was totally denuded of vegatation which never grew back. I also use an unknown, unmarked chemical which I mixed with diesel fuel and sprayed around the "outhouses" to keep weeds and insects down.
Besides my night time episodes I have joint pain in my shoulders, arms, feet in varying severity most of the time. (no history of injuries and I do not do a physical job)
Could it be Agent Orange? I don't know... but if you ever find some treatment for his jerking at night...let me know. i've tried everything from quinine to anti-anxiety medications. I would be greatful and so would my wife!
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2012
Chemicals, PTSD, HELL
I was asked to attend a ceremony for fellow Marines (Carlson's Raiders) in the Marshall Islands. My father in law was one of the youngest to be with Carlson's Raiders. We shared a room and he kicks and talks and dreams all night long, sometimes he injures himself. I believe it is part of a soldier's PTSD and the things we were asked to do or had to do to stay alive. Could be they were in chemical warfare there as well and what chemicals did each side use? I don't believe it will be over for a combat soldier until he gets to heaven if that is possible, we have some things that I believe we have to answer for. What if our hell is here? Maybe we will find peace someday. I believe I have to stop talking about it or I will be dreaming tonight. We just ignore it if we can just like the ringing in our ears that never goes away.
|

replied March 11th, 2009
Jerking Limbs and Agent Orange Exposure
My husband also has night sweats, joint pain in his shoulders, and seizures. Started having trouble holding onto things when he came back from Vietnam. He would just drop a cup of hot coffee or bowls of cereal. Said he had no control of this. Wish we knew what this was??
|

replied June 5th, 2012
I also have weakness in my hand that makes me drop things. My doctors all think it's conversion disorder from PTSD. I have only had the weakness for 7 months, but the PTSD for over 30 years. Never been exposed to Agent Orange but my father was in Vietnam... and fathered me long after he was home from the war. Can it's effects pass through him to me like that? Never considered it until now... I do have joint pain and night sweats though. And my body twitches when I am stressed more than normal. Doing fine motor exercises has helped my hand get somewhat better. I do not drop things as often and have fewer cuts when shaving. After breaking all glasses in the house, I am finally able to hold one with concentration without it dropping.

The exercise I do: tap thumb and first finger together, then thumb and middle finger, then thumb and ring finger, then thumb and pinky. Repeat in various ways from backwards to double and triple tapping each finger before moving onto the next. Also try to do it without looking at your hand and increase speed.
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2012
You can research and there is some articles in the VA that cover the children of Agent Orange and what they have found. I was just on one of the sites and happen to come across it. Sorry I don't remember what site it was.
|
Users who thank BDominguez for this post: TheOddGirl 

replied June 13th, 2009
what is this diease is their a cure?
my fiance also jerks before he falls asleep and while he sleeps and he sweats to the point where he wets the sheets he has never had any traumatic experiences in his life could this still be agent orange what should he do and who should he see about this could it come from just daily stress he also goes a really long time without sleeping what should i do
|

replied May 19th, 2010
@susiecutie24: A lot of people flinch while falling asleep. I know I do sometimes, and I'm only 17. I think it's genetic because my dad does the same thing occasionally. (He didn't fight in Vietnam, either) I also can get pretty sweaty when I'm sleeping, so I doubt it's chemical exposure or agent orange or whatever.
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2012
I fought my CPAP mask for about three weeks. I was told that I woke more than 60 times in one hour of sleep when I went for the sleep study. My wife complained of the snoring. It takes a while, but I can now feel rested when I sleep, my throat isn't sore from the snoring. I even use it when I nap. I hear sleep-apnea may cause heart issues also. I have Agent Orange, diabetics, high blood pressure, PTSD, hearing from Vietnam. I was a Marine in Vietnam from 1968 to 1970. I just had a five way bypass operation and I feel like a new man. I hope it lasts.
|

replied September 18th, 2013
Viet Nam Vet with exposure to agent Orange??
My husband too has been hospitalized with no known diagnose except maybe diabetes or cardiac related. All test have come out normal (?) He has altered conscious , sleeps ALOT, mumbles and does not understand what is being asked of him , shuffles his feet, walks like he is going to disappear into the floor (lower and lower) and has tremors. This comes and goes and we are at a loss as to what to do next. We have even been to Phoenix AZ TOP neurological center.
|