Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Meningitis Forum

After Bacterial Meningitis

Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...
My dad was diagnosed with Bacterial meningitis 10 day ago - and it was quite severe he was intensive care for about eight of those days and unconscious for about five of them. He is still having anti biotics - he seems to be really lucid and remebers all sorts one day and then very confused the next - the confusion varies from not knowing where he is to thinking that he is in space etc etc... Could anyone please tell me if this has happened to anyone else and if so how long it lasted and how long it took to recover completely.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 28th, 2009
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I'm glad he is still being treated, etc. I was in a similar situation when I had it. ICU for over a week and then a few days in the nuero ward. My memory to this day still isn't the same, but I know the first month or two were VERY foggy, memory wise. At times I couldn't remember what I said or did five minutes prior. It gets better, just gotta hang in there. Keep him doing things that exercise his mind, like crossword puzzles or simple math games and the like. It may seem silly, but those simple things really can work. Hang in there!!
|

replied January 7th, 2010
My sister was diagnosed 10 days ago, the doctors called her a miracle. She was released from the hospital 2 days ago with an infusion drip of penicillin. She is doing well, however, her mental behavior is somewhat childlike, she is very stubborn and very impatient, not the person she once was. We are praying this is only temporary. She is functioning, paying bills, etc, but tires very easily and is easily agitated. Anyone have any similar experiences?
|