Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

afraid that i wont sleep

User Profile
Hey all, for the last 4 days i have this paranoic fear when i get to bed that i wont sleep, so i end up not sleeping very well.All this started a night that i didnt feel like sleeping,wasnt tired actually but forced my self a bit,all night i had many thoughts in my head getting me worried even silly things and my temperature started to rise up and finally got sweating all over my chest and back.Since then everytime i go to bed im afraid of not sleeping and while the time passes and i see that im still not falling asleep i get reaaly stressed up:(Whats wrong with me??I want this to stop cause it makes me really tired..my parents suggest me to take some meds and they say it has to do with hormones and things like that but i refuge to take pills.I dont wont to...Please help me!Does anyone else have this problem?Im 24 years old by the way and im a really anxious and sensitive person:(
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile guyopal
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2011
i get the same way. i break out in sweats. i toss and turn and i get that anxious ugly feeling. but i have had it for years not every night. to be honest with you i have started noticing a pattern. after i go thru something very stressful i can always plan that in a few days i will have that horrible feeling at night for a few days. for me it lasts about 4 or 5 days straight. but then sleep finds me. i just lay there and tell myself hey if i cant sleep then i cant sleep and that relaxes my mind. i do not race to bed early everynight cause for me that just makes it harder to sleep. i just go to bed when i want and when i do go to bed i lay there and just watch tv. if i cant sleep oh well. at least we get some sleep some people cant get sleep even if they try they need meds and even that doesnt help. but im usually fine for a month or maybe two but then that creepy feeling hits that " whatif i never sleep " and it used to freak me out and sometimes still does but i just say to myself oh well. i guess i aint sleeping tonight and just lay there watching tv or reading. honestly i think it has to do with nerves and stress. like i said i have noticed a pattern. it usually hits me a few days after i have been through something very stressful. stress is very bad for you. and can keep you up at nights. just think to yourself eh so what i cant sleep oh well. i am the same i hate taking pills or meds. ps i am a very anxious person too . so maybe it is just our nerves..
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2011
First of all thanks so much for your reply....it really makes me good to know that I’m not alone cause I was starting to worry if there’s something wrong with me. Even now im a bit afraid if ill get any sleep when I’ll go to bed.By the way i should say that i dont have that problem of sleeping when its day(usually i get some sleep at 4-5pm till 7pm) I’ll try to follow your advice and watch some tv before,,,I really hope that helps cause I don’t want to take any pill. Yesterday I went to bet around 12 and and till 2 am couldn’t sleep. That’s when anxiety comes! You know that feeling you get sometimes which everything disturbs you from sleeping (for example I had to close the window cause the noise of the wind was getting my nerves…or the door of my room in order to block any sight of light..lol:P).Anyway since I couldn’t sleep my father suggested to take a relaxing pill cause he was worrying…and I admitted I did take it-_-.I slept after that peacefully and woke up at almost 11 o’clock. Now I’m afraid to go to sleep without taking it.You know the funny part of this is that from the moment I take the pill(only the half of it by the way…I don’t dare to take it all and feel sleepy all day) I feel relaxed already even if the pill hasn’t been active yet and get instant sleep:P. The thought itself that I’ve took the pill get me calm.I believe that even if someone give me a fake pill and tell me that will help me to sleep ill sure will!XD. It’s crazy.Anyway I don’t know for tonight cause I drunk some coffee with my friends in the afternoon and dunno if I’ll get it through without the pill as I want to be refreshed tomorrow cause I want to go out with my friends. Dunno what to do…pff.
p.s. sorry if the way I write doesn’t make any sense..Razz
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Catching some sleep
Hi there,

Well I thought I was the only one. When I lay in bed and keep thinking to myself "What if this is one of those nights I can't sleep?" I end up not sleeping just tossing and turning. Lately I've been much better though. Do something that relaxes you before you go to bed like meditate or what really helps me catch some Zzzs is taking a warm sea salt bath before going to bed or if you don't like taking pills, I don't either take some Sleepy tea or Nighty Night Tea which is all natural and you can buy it from the grocery store. I hate not getting enough sleep because I feel like a zombie the next day and I have fibromyalgia too which makes it 10 times worse. Good luck with that though.
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2011
well im glad i could maybe be some help. so how is the sleep thing going? still panicing at night? im getting back into working out. it always helped me fall asleep. all the working out burns off any excess stress that would usually keep me up at night. so by night time i would just crash out without even trying. well i hope it gets better for you...
|

User Profile
replied April 4th, 2011
Experienced User
Hi Helen87 and Goyopal, how are you?
I'm not a doctor, but you might wanna read what I suggested here: http://ehealthforum.com/health/health-anxi ety-t274737.html (my second post).
TC. T. rainbow
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2011
I have that same trouble, I'm terrified to sleep. Ever since my son was born 8 months ago. I usually only sleep for 2 hours a night. I'm paranoid that if I fall asleep, my son will have a problem and I won't be able to help him. I get cold sweats and hyperventilate. I have always had anxiety problems, but now, they are getting worse. my husband says that I am fine and that he is not concerned for me, its just a Mom thing, but I'm starting to think that it isn't normal at all. Atleast I'm not the only one with this problem.
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2011
It might be that I'm only 21 and it's just early adult stress. Might be my age, or could have something to do with my anorexia. I heard that sleep patterns are not fully developed until the age of 30. Who knows...
|