Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Advice when bilingual parents

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
User Profile
So here is the my situation. I'm hispanic and my husband is american.
I'm due in january and if everything goes okay I'm wondering what would be the best approach to make my baby grow bilingual.

I don't speak spanish at the house but my parents who speak spanish are going to do the childcare so for this first 5 years the baby will be exposed to spanish during day and english at the evening. My question is how kids handle this? Feedback if any please.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 6th, 2008
Experienced User
thought I'd help out,

I have mexican parents who raised us speaking spanish and english and we both did just fine academically and socially. I will add that it was extremely helpful knowing spanish in regards to spelling and some standardized tests, because of a lot of latin undertones in vocabulary words.

I also have a one year old niece who is one; she associates and can say words in both english and spanish.

If you will be teaching her both, she shouldn't get too confused, very young children learn foreign languages easier than when they are older, but as for me, I'd say I handled being raised bilingual extremely well. Especially living in California, I know its already helped me getting jobs.

Then again, not all children are the same, but hopefully you'll have fun teaching your child both.

Good Luck!
|
Users who thank amino65 for this post: nightangel73 

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2008
Supporter
i am puerto rican my childs father is native american and im most surely teaching Gabby spanish, she will need it! To start yourself in the learning process, get some flash cards and learn that way.Also get the grand parents involved! let them teach you and the baby when the time comes , its always good to have some sort of a second language. i speak to Gabby in english and spanish all the time
|
Users who thank ilovemyfishies81 for this post: nightangel73