Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Adultery and STDs

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
User Profile
3 weeks ago I had unprotected vaginal intercourse. 3 days after the incident I had a full battery of tests for std's, Herpes, and HIV (blood work & CBC). All came back negative.

What were my risks (odds of contracting HIV)?
Were/are the tests worthless and should I be re-tested?

Now at 3 weeks later I have had many sleepless nights. Several of those nights involving alcohol and waking with hangover. Am now dealing with post nasal drip, waking with headache/sore neck, scratchy throat. Also when I have been trying to get back to training on the bicycle I feel awful, w/elevated Heart Rate and poor recovery. I had surgery in August and have been on prednisone since. Now trying to taper off. Also had been taking avelox and stopped due to "itchy feeling" since my episode three weeks ago.

Mentally not doing well with this as starting to feel like a hypochondriac.
Need answers, help and direction.

Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2008
Sexual Health - Men Answer A4894
Current medical status: blood work for possible HIV exposure at 3 days post incident. Urinalysis for STD's
Current medical treatment: none

If you cheated on your wife you should be worried.

You made the tests too early but they are not worthless because they proved at least that before the risky sexual intercourse you hadn’t had any STD. You can repeat the tests after a few weeks.

Symptoms that you mentioned are too general and can’t direct us precisely to any particular infection. Fear from any STD makes you nervous and makes your symptoms worse.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Men , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.