Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Adult umbilical hernia

I have a very very small umbelical hernia. The dr said I could have surgery or not. Just wondering what the thought is here. Should I have surgery?? I have never had surgery for anything and not sure if this is needed. I am 34 yrs old btw and pretty active.

Let me know as I have it scheduled for wednesday but not sure if I should do it. As it is not affecting me and only visual now.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2009
The risk with hernias is that a loop of intestine, or other intra-abdominal organ, can become stuck, or incarcerated, inside the hernia. This, in turn, can lead to bowel obstruction or even bowel strangulation.

If your hernia is very small, not enlarging, and is totally asymptomatic, then you might get away with watching it carefully. However, by not having it repaired, you do accept a small risk of incarcertion.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.