Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Adult ADD stress of moving/change coping with organization

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
Hello,

I am a 26 year old male livig with ADD. I am a teacher for children with special needs and a graduate student. I also have a second job that I enjoy doing which includes working with families after school and helping them connect to resources. In late 2010 I was made the decesion to live with my then long term boyfriend and it did not go too well. Not knowing that that I had ADD it seemed like I was a unorganized and day dreaming terror to be with and I see why. The relationship ended not only because of me and I was then victim to domestic violence. Since then I made a decesion to get introspective in order to best help me make decesion while living alone. The implications of add became clear when my former boyfriend was not around to help me the way he did for so much with organizing , laundry, grocery shopping and so on. Before him someone else helped me and it seemed clear I had to start looking after myself.

The devastation of my new cluttered and unorganized life eventually caused me to become very depressed and helpless. At which time I started abusing pain killers for a short time before I realized I had to stop. I went on several months ok but very depressed and this eventually lead me to a social worker then a psychiatrist. They evaluated me in varied ways and the doctor decided the best plan for me was a mild anti depresant pill Wellbutrin 150mg and a dose of adderal in the morning 10mg. It's. Is been sevefal months and I've been feeling better by not feeling extremely exhausted at work and by also having energy and focus to make clear structured decesions.

However i have noticed I have been late often to events of work and have loss interest in running in which I enjoys as a stress reliver before I started any meds. At first I felt the adderall caused me to feel dry and so then we switched it to Vyannse ( I can't spell it nor can I find the bottle at the moment). This pill is 30mgs and allows me to feel not tired but less focused then the adderal...which is fine. Never once do I have trouble sleeping or being over hyper I just feel ready to make decesions and get things done instead of sleepy and unorganized.

My question to anyone who has had the similar walk with me... Why does it sometimes seem that regardless of the meds that everyday is a struggle? I have good days but there are days like today where I feel there is not enough hours to get anything accomplished. I also still make poor minded and impulsive decesions that I often regret or care to see their affects on me. My bank account is often full with money then I find myself broke. When I check my statements I spend small dollar amounts on silly things that eventually leave me broke such as coffee,lunch or stuff at Cvs that I don't need. I feel that I am not in control as my impulses push me to make decesions and I become very depressed once the impact of these decesions hits me. So now I am moving from one apartment to another and I spent all my savings to move on Christmas gifts for my family. Now I'm broke, depressed and unmotivated unless it's for something that is exciting such as a sexual encounter or going to do something fun.

But instead of doing those things I have priorities that I have to pay attention to but I can't seem to bring myself to sit and make those phone calls or address changes or dusting the furniture or moving stuff or orgnizing it and I just wish someone who understood would be there to help me.

Can anyone talk to me? Guidance? Support? Suggestions?

P.s I typed this on my smart phone and I can't seem to spell check it so please do excuse grammar or type errors as my phone is touch screen.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 3rd, 2012
Everyday struggle for me with organization.keeping apps.being consistent.I dont finish much. I seem to walk around in circles to choose what to do first.....u r not alone. I do not shop often as I keep myself out of malls and stores for the most part. I am a thrift shopper and have to limit that also.
|

I have app on my phone called Astrid tasks. I make list of things to do, then peck off as I complete. The nice thing is after week or so u are able to go back and see the things you HAVE FINISHED are checked off. It is a small but rewarding step. I take 150 Wellbutrin and have script for adderal 2x day which I am going to take more seriously. Each 10mg lasts 6 hrs they say so if I take at 10am I only have to take one pill in lieu of two and it is over at 4pm and I can sleep. The app is free.
|

I have app on my phone called Astrid tasks. I make list of things to do, then peck off as I complete. The nice thing is after week or so u are able to go back and see the things umhave checked off. It ismamrewarding small step. I take 150 Wellbutrin and have script for adderal 2x day which I am going to take more seriously. Each 10mg lasts 6 hrs they say so if I take at 10am I only have to take one pill in lies of two and it is over at 4pm and I can sleep.
|

replied September 18th, 2012
Experienced User
BE CAREFUL WITH VYVANSE:
I am on a blog with other mothers whose children have been on Vyvanse. I have even called my son's doctor about VYVANSE. Please get off that darn drug as soon as you can. You have no idea the damage it will do to your brain. One mother said her son has been on Vyvanse a number of years and he is totally schizophrenic and nothing, and I mean nothing helps to stop the voices he hears continually. I was telling my son about it (and my son was on it only on school days for 15 months) and he said that he hears voices too and thinks it is a good thing. I asked him what is so good about hearing voices. He said it makes him stop and think about what he is doing. There is going to be a big court case over this medicine in the future and I would urge all of you to keep track of how long you have been on this Vyvanse because it is not going to be a pretty sight when the litigation starts on this new-fangled drug. Sure like we want to be SCHIZOPHRENIC too. ADD is bad enough as it is. Try an older, more established drug. Never take something that is brand new for God's sake. Unless it has been out for many years, you can never truly know the side effects. Get off that darn Vyvanse before you hear voices as well. Yes I am ADD as well, my father was too, and my elder brother who were given nothing for their ADD and were able to make a way in life. Please throw out your Vyvanse before you start hearing voices too! I love crystalized ginger and it made an A student out of me, so go find something hot, whether you like ginger, hot peppers or curry and that will help your mind out better than any drug can!!~~!
|

replied September 24th, 2012
It's important to realize that medications aren't a fix. They are just one tool to help you cope. You will need to find a way to help you stay in task and avoid impulsive decisions. There are many books that can help you find the right blend of techniques and strategies that will work perfectly for you. It will just take time, patience and persistence. If you don't have these things, seek out an ADD coach to help you.
|