Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Adrenal fatique

User Profile
Hi, hopefully you can help.

Aside from low blood sugar symptoms experienced during a spell of low blood sugar, I suffer a further group of symptoms which are thought to be related. Symptoms are persistent for days or weeks at a time, and include brain fog, severe fatigue, irritability, emotional imbalance, nightmares and sleep disturbances. These symptoms used to appear in phases but are now proving very difficult to shift.
These symptoms are puzzling as they persist regardless of blood sugar levels having returned to normal range. They appear to be common among patients with reactive hypoglycemia.

My blood sugar can fluctuate between about 2mmol and 14mmol. I've been tested for and am not diabetic. My diet is quite low in carbohydrate (I aim for 120g per day) in very small portions to avoid severe fatigue after eating.

My question is, could this group of symptoms be caused by adrenal fatigue? And could adrenal fatigue be caused by fluctuating blood sugar levels?

Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2008
Hypoglycemia Answer A4391
Diagnosis that has been suggested: Reactive Hypoglycemia, Carbohydrate Sensitivity
Current medical status: Reactive Hypoglycemia following a carbohydrate meal. At around 45 minutes following a carbohydrate meal, blood sugar levels can rise to 14mmol, then at 2 and half hours drop to 2mmol.
Current medical treatment: Diet controlled

Adrenal fatigue is not an officially recognized diagnosis. It refers to mild insufficiency of the suprarenal (adrenal) glands. It can be manifested with the same symptoms you mentioned. But reactive hypoglycemia can also cause the same symptoms. In adrenal fatigue, production of cortisol is not so disturbed that it can cause such glucose level fluctuations. But there are certain types of reactive hypoglycemia that can be due to disturbed function of the adrenal glands. On the other hand, fluctuating blood glucose levels can’t provoke any adrenal dysfunction including adrenal fatigue. It is believed that adrenal fatigue is caused by chronic stress.

You can perform several tests for evaluating the function of adrenal glands.

Your symptoms can also be due to other conditions like chronic fatigue syndrome, hypothyroidism, depression, etc. These options should be also checked.

You may want to consult an endocrinologist first.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.