Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Adrenal Fatigue? Hypoglycemia? Anxiety?

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
Hello all,

Brief background - In July I went to an endocrinologist complaining of general fatigue, difficulty concentrating, etc. He took some tests, deemed that I had hypothyroidism and put me on Synthroid (25mcg). Worst experience of my life - I had continuous dread, panic attacks sometimes a number of times a day, constant anxiety - heart palpitations, etc. I felt like I was going to die almost daily.

I immediately went off Synthroid and the major panic attacks stopped, but hypoglycemia began. Lost about 15 pounds within 2 months (due to synthroid increasing my metabolism and hesitancy to eat food cause I always felt terrible).

With Stans diet I honestly began to feel amazingly better. I didn't follow every detail, but I took it seriously. NO simple sugars, not even juice until now honestly. Just a high protein/low carb diet. The first week was absolutely fantastic felt better than I have ever felt in a very VERY long time... second week, felt like hell, and it has been a VERY slow recovery ever since. I've been on the diet for about 3 months now.

It seems like every 2 weeks I have new symptoms that I have to deal with an it feels like I've gone through them all... at the beginning it was absolutely terrible... now it's the generalized anxiety I constantly have and the brain fog.

But here's the problem... all the symptoms I'm having are described by adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia, and panic disorder... what do I have???? I am very lost at what to do because I am taking my blood sugar levels and it seems quite balanced honestly. Ranges from high 70's (fasting) to no higher than 120 after eating and back to normal. So how can I STILL be having hypoglycemia symptoms if my blood sugars are stabilized??

This past week I felt like I was doing really well so treated myself to 3 spoonfulls of cake after a high protein meal... been suffering from it for the past 3 days. I guess I'm not ready for that just yet. Is it true that you should look to what you ate 2 days ago if you feel terrible?

Any input is greatly appreciated - enjoying hearing everyone's experiences.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 8th, 2010
I am exactly the same, my doctor says Thyroid is the cause of hypoglycemia...ok I humored him and take my armour thyroid {1.5 grain} per day, and still had the symptoms extremely bad til recently.

Still sometimes have the panic attacks, but they are quelled quicker because of the high protein and introducing SOME carbs like brown rice and oranges back into my diet. This, makes all the difference. The desserts will probably always be bad for us, I ate some gluten free brownies on 4th of July and almost died an hour later, and had panic attacks and severe hypo symptoms for a week after.

I also have checked my levels and get the same range as you, could be getting weak and hungry but the sugar is like 96 or 100..can't figure it out and of course doctors have no clue, especially old school doctors. Oh on a side note, maybe your insulin is out of whack...try avocados, like half of one for breakfast and half for lunch...Space Knight is right, they do help suppress insulin and those jittery feelings a bit.
|

replied December 8th, 2010
Greg how are you doing on the armour? I've heard great things about it. You said you had the symptoms till recently... have you stopped having symptoms? how? diet or armour? How long you been on your diet?

Yeah you're right actually my current doctor did mention to me that he suspects insulin resistance.

What really is bothering me and frustrating me is that before I took synthroid I felt fiiiiiinnnnneeee... I feel that taking that med really messed with my hormonal balance.

The frustration with this is unbelievable. But I am accepting it as is... not much I can do but try to make the situation better. I can honestly say I feel much better than I did a couple months ago before I started the diet. A lot of the major symptoms have disappeared like: vertigo, dizziness, panic attacks, depersonalization. However, I'm still left with anxiety and occasional brain fog.

I have faith this will come to an end with proper diet, it's just an extremely frustrating process.
|

replied January 10th, 2011
Hypoglycemia/Bipolar/Moods
I read your posts. I don't really know of anyone who knows they have hypoglycemia or has my symptoms. My children don't want to hear about it. They say, Mom, everyone in the world has a hard time with life and ask me if I am taking my medicine, meaning my Lithium for my supposed bipolar. Help me! I have violent temper tantrums and suicidal attacks all of a sudden and I am failing graduate school. I do have a doctor, but I have to pay for everything myself and I keep running out of money and I can't work this hard so a lot of times I really want to just end it, you know what I mean???
|

replied January 12th, 2011
These symptoms: adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism and reactive hypoglycemia are indicative of an inflamed digestive tract. This is usually caused by intolerance of certain foods, owing to malfunctions of the necessary enzymes to break down the toxins. This in turn may be due to heavy metal toxins such as mercury amalgam fillings in your teeth.

Anyway, the treatment is to go onto an elimination diet such as a strict Paleo diet. Eliminate grains, seeds (and seed oils), sugar, dairy products, and any vegetable that can not be eaten raw (but you may cook it.)

This pretty much means eating meat, fish (can be a problem for some) and eggs, along with vegetables that can be eaten raw only. If you have any difficulty finding something to eat - eat eggs, they are usually safe.

When your gut has stabilised, slowly introduce foods groups one at a time to see what suits and does not suit you (if you are of northern european extraction, try dairy first.) If you have any further flushes, return to a strict Paleo diet until stabilised, then repeat your trials.
|

replied January 29th, 2011
Hi guys, I feel so for all of you. I am dealing with hypoglycemia as well. I was doing a lot of research on internet and seems like we must have some diabetic genes.Also it has a lot to do with adrenal fatigue. So I am treating my adrenals to get back to normal and follow strict diet mainly consisted of protein and fat. Carbs only with low glycemic index. No white potatoes, no rice or pasta, bread. I dont even mention sweets....Its very hard because when my blood sugar drops I reach, as you do, for something sugary. Or I just have uncontrolable cravings. There is one herb that changed my life. I cant even explain what a difference it made in my everyday dealing with anxiety, depression, mood swings.... Its adaptogen called ashwaghanda, buy the good one from Whole Foods store(no cheap supplements ever). My anxiety and depression is almost gone. I can cope with normal stress again. Its unbelievable how it works. My hypoglycemia is a lot more managable. Hope you can heal your body and enjoy life much better. Chamomile tea works wonder as well. If you have any question about the herb you can email me. I'll be more than happy to share some of the knowledge that I gained through the research. Good luck
|