Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Adding baby shampoo to sinus rinse?

Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
Hi,

I've been doing some reading and I came across something that I thought was interesting. Some doctors believe that chronic sinusitis can be caused by a biofilm. Basically a biofilm, from what I understand, is a colony of bacteria that group together and create a kind of film. This film can get in your sinuses. This film is hard to get rid of. Antibiotics kill bacteria by stopping reproduction, but biofilms are resistant to antibiotics because they reproduce more slowly or something, not sure. For whatever reason antibiotics don't work on biofilms.

So I read that mixing 1%(or 4-5 drops) of the the nasal saline rinse with johnsons baby shampoo(not a typo) will actually break down the biofilm. I want to try this out, but I am a little worried that the shampoo might cause some damage. I haven't found anything negative online except for one woman said it made her lose her sense of smell. I'm not sure if I buy that though, because it might just be the sinusitis making it so she can't smell. Frankly, I can't really smell anything right now as it is.

Anyways, before I try this, I would love to hear if anyone else has tried it and had success or if it caused them harm. Thanks a lot.

-J.B.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper weenk
|

replied February 5th, 2013
DO NOT USE Johnson's Baby Shampoo as Medicine
There was ONE report done by 7 MD's at Division of Rhinology, Department of OtorhinolaryngologyHead and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 2008. The report is based on ONLY 18 PATIENTS!!!

J&J was not told that their product, a cosmetic, was being used internally, as a medicine. Cosmetics do no require FDA regs, etc but Medicine does.

J&J's baby shampoo had toxic ingredients. It was such an issue that J&J made a promise to consumers to take toxins out of baby shampoo & all of their products by 2013-2015. In the mean time.... idiot MD's are telling Patients to use this toxic item to rinse sinus with. The idiot MD's base this decision on a test of only 18 patients! With NO FDA approval and no J&J approval!

For some strange reason "the" publication (research document) can be found on NeilMed's website. Shortly after the publication came out, NeilMed came out with their own product that NeilMed tole me "was the same product (as Johnson's Baby Shampoo)". NeilMed's product was PULLED FROM THE MARKET in Fall 2011 because it was unsafe! Some but not all of the reasons were: it's addictive and loss of smell. If NeilMed's product, a medicine, was pulled from the market for being unsafe and it was "the same" as Johnson's Baby Shampoo then why would Johnson's Baby Shampoo be any safer for internal use?

And, once the product is reformulated, (1) is it effective? (2) is it any safer?

I found all this out, as a Patient, by simply making phone calls. I'm amazed at how stupid people are.
|
Users who thank weenk for this post: njobr 

replied February 5th, 2013
There was ONE report done by 7 MD's at Division of Rhinology, Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 2008. The report is based on ONLY 18 PATIENTS!!!

J&J was not told that their product, a cosmetic, was being used internally, as a medicine. Cosmetics do no require FDA regs, etc but Medicine does.

J&J's baby shampoo had toxic ingredients. It was such an issue that J&J made a promise to consumers to take toxins out of baby shampoo & all of their products by 2013-2015. In the mean time.... idiot MD's are telling Patients to use this toxic item to rinse sinus with. The idiot MD's base this decision on a test of only 18 patients! With NO FDA approval and no J&J approval!

For some strange reason "the" publication (research document) can be found on NeilMed's website. Shortly after the publication came out, NeilMed came out with their own product that NeilMed tole me "was the same product (as Johnson's Baby Shampoo)". NeilMed's product was PULLED FROM THE MARKET in Fall 2011 because it was unsafe! Some but not all of the reasons were: it's addictive and loss of smell. If NeilMed's product, a medicine, was pulled from the market for being unsafe and it was "the same" as Johnson's Baby Shampoo then why would Johnson's Baby Shampoo be any safer for internal use?

And, once the product is reformulated, (1) is it effective? (2) is it any safer?

I found all this out, as a Patient, by simply making phone calls.
|

replied July 22nd, 2013
Try Organic Baby Shampoo
I have just started using the 1% baby shampoo rinse on my doctor's advice. It occurred to me, though, that I should find an organic baby shampoo since I'd be putting this inside my head where there are fewer biological filters to keep problem ingredients out of my system. So I bought Burt's Bees baby shampoo.

Thus far it's worked very well: no stinging; and my sinuses feel much more cleared out than they ever had before (and I've tried many different solutions: salt, salt and baking soda, salt and baking soda and iodine, salt and baking soda and hydrogen peroxide). I wouldn't do this forever, but it's a great backup to have whenever I feel really clogged.
|

replied October 15th, 2013
I've had sinus issues on and off for a few years now and was a regular user of saline irrigation. Twice, I tried the baby shampoo and both times I caught a nasty cold. From what I read, the shampoo prevents a biofilm from forming but is not much help in removing an existing biofilm. However, I do think the shampoo significantly increases the removal of the protective barrier in the nasal passages; the barrier which is the first line defense against germs. As well, saline irrigation also can remove this barrier over time. I've stopped the saline irrigation since it really never helped me anyway. I'm just going to allow my nasal passages take care of themselves. They seem to have been able to do this for thousands of years before irrigation became popular.
|

replied October 31st, 2014
Biofilm treatment - Question
Hi,

I find this site very informative. Really appreciate the good work you are doing.

I have a question in preparing nasal rinse solution. While honey and baby shampoo are effective in fighting biofilm, is it okay to use them both in your nasal rinse?

I was planning to put the following - non-iodized salt, honey, baby shampoo. Is it the right way? Please advice.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.