Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Addiction to ADHD meds

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
I first took an adderall 30mg pill in June of 2007. I felt great all day long. From then on I started buying them whenever they were offered. I soon became hooked on those. If I couldn't get the 30mg pills I would buy more of the lesser mg so I could get the same effect. Eventually I started taking other RX meds like ritalin, metadate, and concerta as well. I found that if I take enough of any of those (whatever may be available) I can get almost the same speedy effect that a high dose of adderall would give me. I know I dont have ADD or ADHD but I have become dependent on these pills just because they give me energy and make me speed. I notice that I concentrate very well, talk a lot, and no task is left unfinished. However, when I'm not on these pills, withdrawing, I am irritable, cranky, fatigued, and lazy. I hate the way I have become and so do certain people that Im very close to. My personal relationships have changed significantly because of my problem that very few know about. Also, I have noticeably lost quite a bit of weight. I was almost at 140 lbs and now I am under 120 lbs. I dont feel so great anymore unless I get enough mgs in me. I refuse to resort to going away to some rehab because I have my own child to care for. Im just hoping to find the best way to overcome this addiction and its withdrawl symptoms. How can I do this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|