Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Addicted to Masturbation?

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
Well, I recently started masturbating. I am going through puberty. I'm afraid I'm already addicted to masturbation... I masturbate about 6 times a week I would guess. I only think about sex and stuff like that when I'm bored. If I am doing other stuff I don't really think about it. I'm just afriad that this is more than normal! How many times a day do you have to masturbate for it to really be considered an addiction?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Once you reach sexual maturity you should be masturbating daily to protect your health. How do you feel masturbation is negatively impacting your life?
|

replied January 4th, 2010
masturbation frequency, how much is too much?
The ONLY negative effect of masturbating that frequently is a possibility of a friction burn, you can avoid that by using a very small amount of lube just under the head or wherever you rub the hardest. Psychologically its a different problem. The only negative effects are (a) if you feel badly about it, then your self-image may suffer (solution is to accept it, don't feel bad about it, in fact almost EVERY boy masturbates regularly) and (b) if you spend too much time fantasizing about sex, then you may opt out of the challenges and difficulties associated with real interpersonal relationships (solution is to try and masturbate less with fantasy and more with the pure physical enjoyment of the act, after all people don't fantasize when they have sex either.). The short answer is that masturbating everyday is not at all bad for you, if you do it right. On the other hand, not masturbating at all, won't hurt you either. Any "excess" will be lost through nocturnal emissions (wet dreams).
|

replied April 1st, 2012
Don't kill your drive to find a gal!
I regret that I masturbated several times a day from when I was a child until I finally got into a serious relationship that ended in marriage. However, I'm sure that relieving my sexual tension also lowered my drive to get a girlfriend. If find that your frequent orgasm is lowering your sex drive, try to limit yourself so you'll not reduce your drive to find the right wife (I think sex should be saved for after marriage).
|

replied January 5th, 2010
As a teenager this is pretty normal.

It only becomes a problem if it starts negatively impacting on your life and you obsess over it so much you hurt other aspects of your life such as friendships, family and health.
|