Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

addicted to cutting

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
so i have recently f**ked up my life. i got expelled from going to school under the influence. my school knew the i had other emotional issue and told me to get help. i was institutionalised for cutting and drug abuse. when i got out i struggled with not cutting after doing it for five years. i stopped for a little while have switched schools and have tons of counselors yet i have recently cut once more and am back to my old habits of lying and keeping it a secret. i am afraid i wont be able to stop.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 26th, 2010
I know how hard it is to stop. Trust me, I've tried. But you have to. Once you do, things will get better. The hard part isn't stoping, it not picking up the blade again. I recommend getting rid of what you use to cut, and stopping cold turkey. Find someone who you can talk to about your problems when you feel like cutting, instead of taking your anger/depression out on your skin.
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2010
Supporter
Hi--Honey--cutting is never the answer--you can stop-only you have this control..I agree with secretxx that you have to keep those tools away..You know the drill you have been there..There are ways to take care of your pain..Exercise I mean exercise hard..Bike, run, swim, martial arts..Do what you need to in terms of exercise to cause exhaustion and you will beomce stronger for it..Use a diary to document chagnes in you..Take care of yourself..If you are on meds-use them and use them like they are emant to be used..k
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2010
I know what it's like to start cutting again after you've thought youd stopped. its worse. I agree with kdlee, try substuting it for hard exercise. You'll get stronger, mentally, not just physically. You can do it. If you're strong enough to post something here youcan manage to stop again. I'll be praying for you- good luck
|

replied November 6th, 2010
I'm a cutter. I fight it every day. It's like your mind toys with you doesn't it? Cut. Don't cut. It's torture. You have to distract. The urge to cut only lasts a few minutes. Distract from it, find something else to do while the urge is strong, distract your mind, tell it no over and over again. Be stronger than the little razor blade demons in your head. Once the urge is gone, carry on. When it comes back you have to start all over again, it's a battle you have to live with. The urges will get less frequent though.
Get rid of all of your cutting tools and bandages, that makes it too easy to cut. If you don't have anything to use then it's harder to cut. Hang in there and be tough.
Mightymouse.
|

replied November 7th, 2010
I understand how hard it is to stop when it's been familiar for a long time. I used to cut for about 10 years. The last time was about 8 years ago. Sometimes when I get very angry or frustrated I can still feel my veins itching and the urge to do it again. But I don't.
You're cutting again because there's something that's overwhelming or difficult to deal with or talk about. I used to keep a lot of secrets and hid a lot of things too, but that won't help you deal with the root of what's making you want to cut to begin with. I was lucky enough to have some pretty amazing friends and a really great when I was trying to quit. When I had the urge to cut, I'd give one of them all of the sharp things I had, so that I wouldn't have them around me. Sometimes if I felt that way for a long time, I would stay over at their place for a day or two, so I wouldn't be alone with myself. Finding friends who are sympathetic and support you makes all the difference. If you can talk to them or one of your counselors about what your feeling when you want to cut instead of cutting, maybe they can help you work your way though it. I do that, and I also run. Every day, if I ever get the urge, I run until I'm too tired to be that upset about anything. It totally works for me, but you'll find your own thing. Good luck, know that there are people who understand and care about you.
|
Tags: Drug Abuse
Quick Reply