Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

adderall addiction

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
i started taking adderall for school. then got to where i always wanted to take it and when im coming down i just want to take more. how can i stop this. im not prescribed nor tried to get prescribed. should i go talk to a doctor?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 17th, 2009
Depends
if you're going to continue using adderall then yes you need to talk to a doctor because if you get caught with it without a perscription say hello to a felony. And as for coming down, it never gets any easier, dont leave your pills where they are convenient to grab or else you may end up binging just to avoid coming down, but once you come down you feel alright you just gotta not make it convenient to take another. hope this helps
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2009
Supporter
Are you supposed to be taking them? I'm guessing you're not supposed to be taking them. Yeah going to speak to a doctor could be useful. Just to understand why you're actually taking them and whether infact you should be (maybe in a lower dose) but if you don't need them and are just using them for a high then the easiest thing to do is flush them down the toilet and don't get anymore off your friends. You may feel a bit lousy for a week or two but you'll be fine. you could also ask a doc what the side effects will be from stopping use and for how long they'll last so you're more aware about your bodies reaction to coming off them. You'll be fine.
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
i dont take them for the high. i only take them for school because it helps me focus and im actually doing better in school.
|

replied September 6th, 2009
I don't think it's a wise choice AT ALL if you have the urge to take more once the drug is wearing off to go to a doctor and get a prescription. I did this very thing 2 different times since i consider adderall and myself an on-off love/hate relationship. What I'm hearing from you seems like a sign of addiction which can only lead to a destructive, dark, unpleasant place. I myself have been diagnosed with ADD but I just have accepted the fact that I am different than many people who take the drug who use it as prescribed. Only then does it actually help you when you don't take more than your daily dose. This is because once you start abusing it, your tolerance will build and build causing that euphoric high or "i can do anything and beyond!" feeling your going for to get harder to achieve. However, the purpose of Adderall, although it does produce those sort of effects on the brain, is not to stay high, but to maintain a steady dosage so your chemicals can balance out to where it is much easier to focus and pay attention. Those who do this as prescribed do not have a desire to take more if they take the same dose everyday and not skip days or weeks. I also firmly believe these people are not addicts, like myself. Therefore, I STRONGLY suggest that you stop using Adderall period. It starts to become such an essential part of one's day and to me, if I didn't have anymore of my script and couldn't find any anywhere else, I was useless and blew off everything, no matter how important it was. Anyway, hope this helps somewhat and good luck. I would suggest something like Stratera or Well-Butrin is what I take now that helps me a lot with my ADD and depression. I have been very very low since coming off of adderall because it is essentially speed! I personally believe it is unneccessary and wrong to so quickly prescribe; but I can't help but sometimes have the urge to go to another doctor and pull the same scam i've done twice before. I've only set myself back further and further and I'm ready to finally divorce that demon of mine.
|