Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Adderall addiction/recovery

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
I've been addicted to Adderall on and off for a few years now, it seems like every time I go on a binge I'm more emotionally disconnected coming off of it. I'm finding it difficult to function with every day life, constantly thinking about the drug..or constantly thinking about how I used to be before using it. I don't know if I've damaged synapses in my brain from the abuse, or messed with my serotonin/dopamine production.

Are there any drugs to aid the brains recovery from the firestorm it takes while one is using Adderall? I obsess about it all the time, if the brain itself can't recover from it..there's really no reason to not go back to feeling superhuman.

Help me in my recovery, or else I'll relapse out of spite Razz
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2011
I don't personally know of any more drugs you could take to "repair" synapses in the brain, but if you quit abusing Adderall your brain chemistry will begin to normalize.

I used to be addicted to methamphetamine which works very similarly to adderall and, chemically speaking, is an analogue of it. These stimulants work by filling your brain's synapses with dopamine and not allowing it to be reabsorbed causing your dopamine receptors to be on constant overload. Over years of use, these receptor cells become less and less effective at receiving dopamine and wear out. This is brain damage that can NOT be reversed.
The acute depression and irritability you get when you first quit using these drugs will subside after a good "sandwich and a nap." Our brains alter their chemistry to counter the rush of dopamine and other effects that are caused by amphetamines eventually causing a tolerance to the drugs. When we don't take those drugs anymore, the brain's chemistry is still set up to counter that rush of dopamine from the drug use, so we actually have a dopamine defficiency making you feel like crap. Depending on how long you've been using the drug and how regularly you took it, it may take a week or so for your brain chemistry to balance out. This is usually a very safe process considering no part of your body actually really becomes dependent on the drug. It's a psychological addiction, which means it quite literally is all in your head.

Stay safe and GET CLEAN!!! This has obviously turned into an addiction for you. Once any recreational use of a drug becomes a habit, it can change your life for the worse!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied December 2nd, 2011
Thanks for those posts, talking to people who have had the same problem as me makes me feel a lot better.
Does anyone know anything about the legitimacy of this information?

http://www.kci.org/meth_info/lori/Dopamine _Methamphetamines_and_You.htm

Is that true about 18 months of being "clean" and it taking that long for the dopamine levels to return to normal.
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2011
I can see it taking up to 18 months to restore normal dopamine levels. After I got clean, I was a new person, and not just metaphorically. My whole psyche seemed different. Yes I encountered depression to a much higher degree and for much longer than I normally would have when bad things happened i.e. getting dumped.

I think I'm a better person now, but I would and still do obsess over things that I did either before or during my addiction and how I could think the way that I was thinking back then. It's like my addiction was a lobotomy gone way better than it ever has before.
Even when I first quit, I felt more alive, more self-aware than I had ever been. I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of this was due in part to dopamine levels taking a lot longer than I thought to replenish. It looks like there are some supplements and even drugs that do help with the recovery. I did not know this before. That kci.org link you have is pretty good info.
|

replied December 25th, 2011
I have been off adderall for 3 months. I was on it for 20 yrs. Taking it daily. The world to me seems scary, big, and intimidating. Does this get better?
|

replied December 4th, 2011
It's funny all the conflicting information you can find online

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert. q.a/06/16/adderall.brain.changes.raison/in dex.html
|