Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Acute pain during menstration (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I don't know where else to post this...

When i'm on my period, especially on the super heavy days, I will get this unbelievably sharp pain that starts in the anal area and shoots up.. as if someone is shoving a sharp knife up my bum. It hurts my anus and the area between my anus and vagina.

The pain itself only lasts 5-10 seconds. I can sorta feel it comming, and then I have just enough time to brace myself. The pain comes so strong I can't breath, and it jolts me out of my seat. It is the WORSE pain I have ever felt. This tends to happends in clusters, so a couple minutes later I will get another one, and so on. It is NOT menstral cramps or abdomenal pain. It feels like a muscle is being pulled or a nerve is being pinched just inside my anus. Overall it is like someone has stabbed you up the bum, I cannot even explain how painful those few seconds are, I really feel like I might pass out or die.

This generally happens on the heaviest days of my period. I should also note that I currently have an IUD. I used to get these pains before, but they have been happening more frequently since I got the IUD inserted. Also, I am 22 years old, have been in a monogamus relationship for the past 5 years, it is not an STD.

What in the world is causing this pain and is it dangerous? what can I do make it stop?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper quatromamma
|
Users who thank supernovaXoXoX for this post: lji 

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2009
i get the same problems when i'm on my period. i'm 16 but i don't have an iud.

i would like to know what it is also!

they effing KILL!
|

replied February 25th, 2009
so do i
i have it...but not at my anus/vagina area....its on my pancrease area....its very painful!
|

replied April 11th, 2009
painn!
i have the same problem!! it rarely happens but it hurts a lot!! Sad & im only 18!! has anybody of u guys received an answer?
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Hi,

I am now 34, but had the same problems from the age of 17 to 20. I could not get any answers regarding a diagnosis from my GP, he kept putting it down to IBS but I knew it wasn't this. As you say it felt like someone sticking a knife up me and I felt I couldn't stand or sit, the pain was so bad. I actually collapsed in a club with my partner one night as the pain came and wouldn't stop, he had to carry me to a taxi to get me home.

After that my parents paid for me to go private and I still never got a diagnosis. I'm sorry I can't help you with a diagnosis, mine did stop when I got pregnant with my 1st child for some reason and never came back. I do sympathise with you as I know exactly how bad the pain is!

ct
|

replied July 1st, 2009
I've had the same pain during periods the last year and finally decided to go to a doctor when it started interfering with my life. We haven't completely solved my issue yet, but there are two possible solutions: endometriosis or internal hemorrhoids.

An OBGYN can make an educated guess about whether it's endometriosis, but the only way to diagnose it is through a laparoscopic procedure (surgery through the belly button). As a result, my doctor decided to treat it without diagnosing to avoid the surgery. She prescribed birth control pills: Seasonique, which put me on a 3 month cycle. These helped make the pain less frequent since I got my period every 2.5-3 months instead of monthly. Unfortunately, when on my period, I still had the pain so the pills weren't working and it likely wasn't endometriosis.

Meanwhile, a GI doctor found a small internal hemorrhoid that could cause the same symptom. She prescribed a very high fiber diet and a suppository. The next 3 or 4 periods were almost pain free. Almost one year later- it's starting to return again- BUT- I think I've at least found the cause- however embarrassing it may be...
|
Users who thank latetwenties for this post: alleyjames 

replied July 6th, 2009
Stabbing pin during Menstration
It is comforting to know i am not alone but frustrating not finding answers. I am 29 have had 2 kids and have suffered from the same problem since i was 11 years old. The description of some one stabbing a knife into you anal and vaginal area is right on. I even have a hard time sitting. I have done several tests and no one can give me a definite answer. I would have thought I was alone seeing as there doesn't seem to be common knowledge of what is going on in my body. . Thank you all for taking time out to share... as soon as anyone figures something out please share.
|

replied July 29th, 2013
i am having the same problem, this period worse than any others. i am 16 and a virgin and feel as if i am being stabbed up the same areas. the sharp pain also comes up to my lower abdomen where i usually get normal cramps. i cant go to school because i would be screaming in pain during class. i dont know if it is connected to my cramps because i had the worst cramps i have ever experienced where i was crying from the pain. you'd think that with so many people experiencing the same thing that doctors would know what it is. its frustrating!
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2009
hi,
I really have the same pain and i can feel it . It is very very painful every time i think that i am dieing but i think it is due to nutritional problems . it may be due to iron deficiency anemia you can relieve it by drinking hot drinks during the menstruation days to relax your muscles and don't make much effort . bye bye
|

replied July 19th, 2009
For some odd reason, i thought i was the only one who had these hideous pains. For someone who dreads that 28th day, i must say that these pains are the worse part. Its not a cramps..its more paralyzing and more intese with every movement. I would believe that it is due to an health issue,but me starting my period at the early age of 10,vividly remember having the pains then. They've grown stronger over the years and i just want to know the source. Is there something that I,myself can do, or just part of life?
|

replied July 20th, 2009
I though I was the only one that had this too. So I was really hoping I could find something when I searching for some kind of answer. This pain hurts soo bad and It gets so bad. I just woke up from an uncomfortable sleep because of this pain.
|

replied July 24th, 2009
sharp knife pain in bum
OK Ladies, I am 54, never been pregnant, "normal" sex life - finished my periods, and have 3 sisters - they have children. ALL of us experience the exact sam horrible pain as described you all. I have asked a female doctor and a male doctor - they don't know what I am talking about. The other day at golf, I stopped suddenly because of the pain and a lady asked what is wrong-she was horrified and couldn't understand. I told her it will go in a few minutes but this one lasted about 10. When we came in she told everyone else about it - very embarassing. But then another lady came up to me and said that she has had it all her life and thought she was the only one in the world !!!
They don't do any research on it because it is a female issue and not fatal. We just have to put up with it - Sorry
|

replied August 20th, 2009
Hi. I'm 22 and i get exactly the same thing, omg it is so painful. Have you ever heard of endometriosis?? Please read up on this all women who are having this pain, im currently getting tested for it as i explained it to my doctor and she said it might be that. Make sure your doctor takes you seriously! It is common in women.
|

replied October 18th, 2009
I'm 24 and have had this problem since about maybe 16. I have two sisters who have no idea what I'm talking about when I explain it to them. They all think it's menstruation cramps, but they lose me when I say that the pain comes from my rectal area and not my lower ab. It feels like progressively sharp stab up the bum. I remember sitting down in class and almost jumping out of my seat because of the discomfort!

I'm glad I'm not the only one, but now that I've been reading up on endometriosis. I am sort of afraid... have any of you experienced problems with fertility? I'm not looking that far ahead, but one day I like to think I would want kids.
|

replied January 30th, 2010
I have read about this and there is a nerve....I can't remember which one, but it causes this kind of pain. My mother understood fully when I finally broke down and explained what was happening. I don't think it's internal hemmorhoids, because it only does this during my period and I know I don't have endometriosis. I've had 4 babies and they would've found that by now.
|

replied January 14th, 2014
I have had these intense stabbing pains for about a year, Im 43 I have 3 gorgeous sons, I found out after surgery of my 3rd son my womb had fallen back, Iv had totally regular period, usually 24-26 days but since this pain I know the very day I start, Iv had hemorrhoids for a good few years, I suffer from IBS and never ever had period pains, Ive been to my doctor and they have said all the above 'could' be the reason, I do have connective scar tissue for my previous surgeries but I feel this is none of these, but your suggestion of a nerve makes sense, when I wake up on the day my period is to start, I get the pain, relatively mildly in comparison to later in the day, so I know Ill start my cycle, Im on heavy duty inflammatory tablets for back pain, and they dont touch this severe, stabbing, breath-taking, want to rip it out pain, not even a little bit.
It would be really nice if our doctors would try to find out but I really think this might be the cause for my problems, I dread needing to go to the loo, even to pass wind, doubles me over till it passes, just a couple of minutes usually, it hurts to sit, walk, No 2s, a pee, to pass wind anything to do with that part. I hope this helps anyone else. Oh Im off to see my GP again today, if I get any different diagnoses, Ill post for you all Smile
|

replied March 24th, 2010
I have the exact same pain, the way I describe it is like a sharp gas pain, sometimes I cant even sit normal, I have to tilt to one side, also taking out a tampon is excrutiating at the beginning of my period, by the end I am fine??? I asked my Dr once and she said its very common and its caused by everything swelling inside at the beginning of your period?
|

replied April 7th, 2010
i have the same pain, and my doctor told me that it was the beginning of endometriosos that forms on the back side of the uterus and therefore causes the pain to feel like its in your behind. made sense to me
|

replied April 7th, 2010
I may know the answer of your problem. Base on my training, which is in traditional Chinese medicine, a sharp pain like that is a result of bad blood circulation.

And there are many cause of that. (e.g. consuming cold beverages...)

It is kind of a tricky problem but it shows up in our office surprisingly frequent.

Does your period normally normal or you are having some concern for a while?

As Susan mention, it is important to eliminate the possibility of being pregnant to give a proper diagnosis.

Base on my background, which is in traditional Chinese Medicine, lack of cramp doesn''t really tell if your period is normal or not as some people have cramp regularly and many other people don''t.

If you are interested to learn more about what traditional Chinese medicine think about your case, feel free to message me.
|

replied May 20th, 2010
it's really painful
OMgosh, I can't believe how many of us have this and the doctors don't seem to know why.
When I feel an attack coming on it helps me to get up and walk it off.
I'm 40 and this just started happening in January.
I'm just glad I am not alone.
|

replied June 18th, 2010
I'm shocked to see how many people have this, i thought i was the only one! I'm only 16 and during my period it feels like a knife ripping through my anus, its a horrible sharp pain that stops me in my tracks. It lasts only about 30 seconds to a minute. I find that 2 Advil every 3 hours during my whole cycle will minimize the pain( except for when I have a bowel movement it feels like knifes are ripping through my rectum/anus). I really hope someone has a cure for this!!!
|

replied September 18th, 2010
For those of you wondering about fertility... I am 32, a parent of one, and have had these pains since about the time I was 14. I only recently found out that my mom had them her entire reproductive life ( 4 kids spread out over 6 years with one set of twins) and my sister has them too (two kids back to back). While there are definitely medical issues everyone with these pains should have checked out I'm pretty sure there are some people who just have this pain. Our experiences have been the literal stabbing/tearing pain "down there" usually during really heavy menstruation. It's the worst feeling ever, mush worse than having a kid even~ And that actually does tear things!!
|