Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Activities that can aggravate a hernia

User Profile
Had an umbilical repair about 6 years ago. Bad infection followed but repair seems OK. Painwise, though, the site has always been an issue. Several times I have suffered a dull to intense pain in the area and gentle pressure on the original bulge site brings about an odd sensation. No pain but there is something tiny that pops away. My best measure of this is a few millimetres but it\\\'s not very definable; a sort of phantom something, vaguely physical but neither hard nor soft. It\\\'s happened a few times, always gone away but the latest lasted a few days and was very uncomfortable. To compound the confusion I also suffer from recurrent kidney pain caused by stones and the pain from that source always seems to spread round and into the hernia repair site. Thus, although there is definitely something tiny in the hernia repair site I can seldom be sure that it is the repair or a recurrence that is causing the discomfort.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2010
Hernia Answer A13323
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

If there is a sudden increase of abdominal pressure due to pushing, exercising or other physical activity any weak spot on the abdominal wall can become a place where a hernia can develop. In individuals who had hernia repair, the weak spot on the abdominal wall is a hernia scar. As the abdominal pressure increases, part of the peritoneum or intestine can be pushed through the muscles and a hernia may reappear.

According to the data that you described, you may or may not be experiencing the reappearance of an umbilical hernia. See your doctor for further diagnosis. Avoid any physical activity that results in an increase in pressure on the abdominal wall such as pushing, pulling, weight lifting, etc.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.