Medical Questions > Relationships > GLBT Relationships Forum

ACT UP and GLBT HIV/AIDS community

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Do groups like ACT UP help or hurt the GLBT HIV/AIDS community?
Help
Hurt
50%  50%  [ 1 ]
50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2
User Profile
Do groups like ACT UP help or hurt the GLBT HIV/AIDS community?
..take the poll and let us know what you think.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I think if it wasn't for ACT UP we would still have thousands of people dying from AIDS instead of living with AIDS.
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2008
Supporter
Though the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP) does have a very important cause, I think that they are hindering their cause more than they're helping it. Why? It's difficult to reach and have an impact on a large portion of the population when you behave like a leftist 'fringe' group. Their website, for instance, has a lot of past and present president bashing, some name calling and some, I would say, stretched claims. It's very important to deliver a message without resorting to these things.

As for how it affects the GLBT community, I said groups like this hurt the community more than they help. It's important to achieve change through mature, informed, respectful discussion and compromise a little bit. I don't think that groups like ACT UP do that to the degree that I would like to see. I realise that AIDS is a global epidemic and immediate action is needed, but effective, long lasting, important change will take place slowly and in doses. Trying to speed it up will paint you as an extremist, and people won't take you seriously.

I'm not implying at all that ACT UP is an extremist, useless group, by any means. I just don't think the change they're trying to make is going to happen through their means.
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2008
Community Volunteer
ACT UP did incite change..I understand what you are saying but before ACT UP there was absolutely nothing being done. Zero, zip,zilch,nada...because of that lack of action, ACT UP was formed and was meant to be an over the top reactionary group to an over the top situation. Reagan was president at the time and had never even said the word AIDS or HIV in public. I was in San Fransisco when it started and people were literally dying in the street and no one in power was doing anything to help. If not for ACT UP, we would still be without resolution. I am a firm believer in the right of the people to fight for equality and freedom and if talking and being civil doesn't work then you have to do what you have to do..just like The Stonewall riots in New York in the late 60's...people were being abused and misused and no one was coming to there aid so they took matters into there own hands and by doing so changed history.
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I probably should have started this poll under the HIV and AIDS forum...sorry..
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2008
Supporter
I totally appreciate that groups like ACT UP and those involved in the Stonewall riots did when times were desperate.

I just think that groups have to change with the times. I think that if ACT UP tweaked their message a little bit they'd do more justice to their cause. There's a large difference between starting a movement and facilitating one that has already started. I just feel like ACT UP (and other groups like it) are operating on the same premise they did all those years ago. They'd do more justice to their cause by changing a little bit, that's all. I totally agree, more education and more action is needed to prevent this epidemic from spreading. ANd I'm not trying to dis' ACT UP... I don't want to offend anyone. I'm just offering my take on the situation.
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I feel you,marvel respect
|