Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

acquiring HIV in one unprotected sexual encounter?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
What are the chances of acquiring HIV in one unprotected sexual encounter. Does the infection depend on how many times contact has been made with an infected person?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2011
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

Every act of unprotected sex - does not lead to HIV infection.

First, the chances that the concerned partner was indeed HIV positive is a point to be determined.

The risk of HIV infection is high with unprotected intercourse with partner of unknown HIV status, risky sexual behavior, multiple sexual partners, IV drug use, and association with other STDs.

Risk of acquring HIV are as follows:
A. Female-to-male transmission is 0.04% per act and
B. Male-to-female transmission is 0.08% per act.
C. The rate for receptive anal intercourse is much higher, 1.7% per act

The need for HIV testing depends on how high risk does the person has for HIV infection. If the risk is very high, then testing for HIV is advisable.

HIV is diagnosed based on the serological detection in the blood samples.

A person after exposure to HIV can get tested as early as 4 weeks to 12 weeks with the ELISA for HIV antibody test.

If a test is done at 12 weeks after exposure, and it is negative and there is no need to repeat the test again.

I hope this helps.

|

replied February 23rd, 2013
thanks doc ...
|

replied August 7th, 2012
Please help.. :((((
Hello doctor,
I used a condom, but it slipped off completely when i pulled it out & i ejaculated outside.
Can i het HIV? What are vaginal fluids, Is it the same as natural vaginal lubrication?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.