Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Acid Reflux , hiatal hernia and bad cough

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
Are these all related? I have had problems off and on (which I now have down to a science) for about a year now. The coughing is the worst. I'll cough for a few minutes until I cough up clear phelm and then I'm fine until it starts again. This will go on for about 2 weeks , then all symptoms subside for about a month or so. I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia (had throat scoped 6 months ago. Now Im on Zegrid and it really doesnt seem to be helping. Any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper silencio
|

replied November 26th, 2009
I have a sliding hiatal hernia and have the pflegm problem every now and then. I have been prescribed Omeprazole which seems to stop the acid reflux occuring and have noticed that on the occasions that I forget to take them, the problem resurfaces. This proves that this medication works for me
|

replied January 1st, 2012
Acid Reflux/Chronic cough and possible Hiatal hernia
Acid Reflux medicine is only treating the symptoms, which I've been taking for years now. My friend is a RN. She has told me that a hiatal hernia has to be fixed and can not be done so with medication. She said that it has to be put back in place. I've done research about this and the research substantiates everything she has told me. In addition, no special test like an endoscopy has to be performed to show if there's a hernia or not. A doctor can put his or her fingers on a person's diagram and have the patient breathe in and out to tell if a hiatal hernia is present. I've been having problems for years, acid reflux and chronic violent cough because of excess phlegm. I'm going to print off some of my research and when a doctor tells me I have to have a scope or tries to prescribe another $200 stomach medication, I've going to show them the research and insist them check for the hernia.
|