Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Aching gums after scaling

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I had swollen gums on my left side and what can only be described as a gum ache for about 2 days and decided to go to the dentist. he told me I needed a through scaling done as plaque had built up around the gum area. And it had been a long while since i last saw the dentist!
It has been 3 days since my scaling treatment and the swelling has reduced slightly although the area still feels achy and out of sorts. But not more than it was earlier- in fact it is better.

Is this normal after 3 days? I wasn't given in any meds , just told to rinse with salt water and Listerine and to floss and brush regularly. HOw long can I expect this achy feeling to remain?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Depending on the level of plaque on your teeth before the cleaning, you could be a little sore for upto 1-2 weeks. Gums take a while to calm down after they've been irritated and likely if they did a thorough job cleaning, the gums take a little beating on the way as well. Hope that helps.
|

replied November 14th, 2009
hi jiffy dent:

yes, it's been 8 days now and my gums are still a little sore and achy still...the plaque build up was well, significant according to the dentist.

what's a good routine to follow aside from keeping good dental hygeine? i floss, rinse with listerine and have taken to brushing afrter each meal- i am very careful around the area that is achy though...
|

replied November 14th, 2009
How large is the area which you say is sore? A whole region or just a few teeth? If its a small area it may be signs of something that may need some attention. Keep an icecube in your mouth in the area that its sore. The coldness will help decrease overall swelling but other than keeping it clean, its just a matter of time.
|

replied February 20th, 2010
Sorry to hear about your discomfort. I am a hygienist, there is a prescription mouthrinse your dentist may be able to give you that helps with infection in the gums after scaling. Brand name is Peridex, generic chlorhexidine gluconate. Think of the tartar as a splinter to your gums. It's sore for a little while after being removed but heals up nicely.

Kelly RDH
|