Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Accuracy of ultrasound of lymph nodes in groin

My doctor sent me for an ultrasound and biopsy of my groin to rule out lymphoma. I have several lumps in my groin area and crease of my leg. One lump in particular is approximately 5-6cm long on inside crease down the inside of my leg. None of these are tender or painful. Except the long one has one point at top sometimes if you press hard it stings.

Basically the technician wasn't experienced with ultrasounds in the groin. Therefore they got two other technicians (one with inexperience and one experienced technician) to have a look. After lots of stuffing around the technician managed to get a look at the long lump and decided it was not a lymph node but looked like something may be bleeding into it and come back in 6-8 weeks to check size. No lymph nodes could be seen in area at all. I've had 3 doctors tell me I have enlarged lymph nodes there yet the ultrasound could not detect any? Is it possible that these oval shaped lumps upto a few cms in width I can feel just above the crease of my leg are all in my imagination? I am really confused as to whether to pursue further testing or not?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2010
I would suggest that you go to another facility and undergo another ultrasound, and if indicated, an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy of this mass.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.