Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Accuracy of HIV test at 30 days ?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Dear All

I have had a protected sex with CSW on 14 Feb in London. And the test result at 30 days came back negative. But I have been told by most of people including doctors say that the HIV test at 6 weeks and 3 months will be a good indicator due to the window period. However, I am wondering that can normal adult with normal immnue system can produce enough detectable antibody at 30 days, I don't mean the exceptional case which is people have serious disease. Is the test at 30 days reliable or not, and how many percent of reliability? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper W0LF
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
The Blood Antibody test is a 3 month window to give it's full 98% accuracy. A blood antibody test at 20 days is unlikely to detect anything. The Eliza test can be taken after 20 days with about 80% accuracy. Do you know which test you were administered?
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
I have asked the nurse, but she doesn't excatly know what type of test is. But the test result only says HIV serology is not detected. Normally people use negative or positive to define whether is infected or not, I am just wondering why my test result doesn't use negative but not deteced? Thanks
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Because negative has a legal connotation.

Did you get blood drawn for your test?
|

replied March 24th, 2010
you say a blood antibody test is not likely to detect in 20 days but eliza is.What is the difference between what you call a 'blood antibody test' and eliza? What do you think of the results of oraquick advanced hiv1/2 rapid tests negative at 6 weeks and negative PCR test at 3 weeks?
|

replied March 24th, 2010
To: Alex24innewyork
I have done a self test at home at 25 days, and unknown test in hospital at 31 days. Both of them came back negative (Thank God). Now I am going to do a self test again at 6 weeks. Hope will be negative again. I don't know how accurate the self test kit it is. Is that legal to buy a tesk kit on internet or shop in US? They seem illegal in the UK.
|

replied March 24th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
If you took the Eliza I wouldn't bother with another home kit. They are somewhere in the lower range of reliability, hence why they're not available in all countries. Really you out to take a blood Antibody test at 3 months. It will give you decisive information about your HIV stats.
|

replied March 8th, 2012
Window Period for HIV
MrNegative,

I would wait for the recommended three months if I was you. In normal cases, a healthy adult would not take that long to produce an adequate amount of hiv anti-bodies. However, you need to keep in mind that all people are different. I was scared to death about a year ago thinking I had contracted HIV, and I choose to perform three tests, one for each month until I reached the window period. I bought what was called a rapid hiv home test kit online. Anyhow your best option is to get tested at a licensed facility, but in the meantime you could get a test online if it's bothering you too much.
|