Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Crohn Disease Forum

Abscess in the small bowel and Crohn's disease

Must Read
Crohn's Disease is a chronic disorder that affects digestion. But what is Crohns and how does it affect the body?...
What causes Crohn's disease? Does it run in families (yes)? And how can YOU avoid the risk factors of Crohn's?...
Can you identify symptoms of Crohn's Disease? Learn more about the range of symptoms from mild to severe in this section on Crohn's symptoms here. ...
User Profile
I have recently been told that i have an inflammatory mass of about 4 cm in the area of my small bowel. It actually comes to the skin surface and it visible and feelable very easily. It is just below my stomach, 2-3 inches above my belly button and just slightly to the right of center. I am being treated with prednisone (solymedrol and zocyn while in hospital) and levequin at home. He has prepared me that this thing can possible rupture and due to it being so close to the skin would rutpture out. He says that it would not be an emergent situation but it worries me still. He said it would actually provide relief. I have had crohn's for 16 years and this is my first mass of this type. i have had an abcess before but we had to do surgery at that time. I worry about toxins and poisons reaking havoc. He also called it a fistula which i am not familiar with either. I have been blessed thus far. I am also doind remicade. Any advice or explanations further on any of this? Thansk!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 12th, 2010
Crohn Disease Answer A14171
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Crohn's diseases is a disease that affects the alimentary canal and may appear in each of its segments. It is characterized by inflammation, ulcers and strictures. As the disease develops, abscesses are formed in the alimentary canal, from which the pus can be discharged into the intestines or through the skin, causing formation of fistulas.

Given the data that you described, you are experiencing an abscess in the small bowel. You may need to take antibiotics to prevent dissemination of the infection, which may cause additional sepsis. You may also consider taking medication for treatment of Crohn's disease (in greater doses, if necessary) prescribed by a gastroenterologist.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical infomation only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified health care provider such as a gastroenterologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Crohn Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.