Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Wound Care Forum

3" Abrasion on my shin that won't heal

I ran into a jagged plastic PVC pipe sticking out of the ground and have a 3" cut going up the center of my left shin. The cut isn't too deep and didn't bleed much if at all. I have been dumping peroxide and alcohol on it twice a day during the week and up to 5 times a day on the weekend. I also put a new bandage and neosporin on it twice a day. It has been 2 weeks and it still hasn't even begun to scab over. Every time I peal my bandage off, there is dried pus stuck to it. I work in NYC and do a decent amount of walking and standing and the cut has been very bothersome and aches after longer walks. I don't have the best health insurance and I've been trying to avoid the doctor's office, so any suggestions on how to heal it from a drug store would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
ShinCut,

This is an older post, but for others with the same problem.

You are manipulating the wound too much and basically doing what are called, wet-to-dry dressing debridements on the wound.

You do not need to clean the wound so many times a day. Wash it thoroughly in the shower, with just plain old soap and water. Pat it dry, place a light dry nonadherent (like Telfa) dressing over the laceration. Leave it alone, till the next morning.

If you want to lightly tough it up with hydrogen peroxide after you have cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water, fine. But, it is probably not needed.

If you want to use a very, very small amount of neosporin (or whatever), that is also fine, after you have cleaned it well with soap and water. Do not goop on a whole bunch of it. It also needs to be washed completely off everyday. It is not a substitute for a good soap and water cleaning.

Are you getting the idea that soap and water is the best antiseptic, antibacterial substance there is?

Also, by manipulating the wound so much, keeping is wet, then putting on the adherent dressing, when you pull it off, you debride the wound, you pull off the top healing tissue every time.

Wash it thoroughly in the shower with just good old soap. Pat it dry. Place a Telfa pad over it. Leave it alone till your shower the next day.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?